Now what?!!

Here's an odd one for you.

For a while now I've had a leak from the power steering, somewhere in the vicinity of the pump and resevoir, but been unable to track it down. Yesterday I was turning the steering lock to lock (with the engine off). When I went round the front of the car there was hydraulic fluid dripping from the truck, so I opened the bonnet and tried it again. After a couple of turns a jet of fluid squirted from the lid of the resevoir :blink:

And now for the really wierd bit - even though it's been leaking for ages, the level is still fine...which means something must be getting into the system?

Any idea what's going on?

They will do that if you turn it lock to lock with the engine off. Think about it, the pump is normally sucking from the reservoir, and pressurising the rest. Without the pump, you've no suction or pressure, that fluid has to go somewhere!

Sounds like it was slightly overfull to begin with though.

A common leak point is the bottom of the reservoir/inlet to the pump.

Sounds like no-one thought to design in any way for it to release the pressure...

It may well need bleeding though - didn't do it after fitting the new engine (when the pump was obviously disconnected). What's the procedure for doing it? Engine on or off?

I'll clean it up and have another look for leaks under the resevoir then - cheers.

I did ours with the engine running and the occasional turn from lock to lock on the steering to flush it properly. I don't think you'll ever get the system completely flushed like that, but the fluid looked a lot healthier after a couple of minutes!!

I may be wrong (and usually am), but shouldn't the hole in the cap have a peg in it?

It's only there to release pressure build-up as the oil heats up it expands and can pressurise the air inside.

The *jiggley pin allows hot air to escape but keeps the fluid in. As the fluid cools down, the pin allows air to be drawn back into the resevoir....

*jiggley pin = best name I could come up with at short notice..... :blink::lol:

I may be wrong (and usually am), but shouldn't the hole in the cap have a peg in it?

It's only there to release pressure build-up as the oil heats up it expands and can pressurise the air inside.

The *jiggley pin allows hot air to escape but keeps the fluid in. As the fluid cools down, the pin allows air to be drawn back into the resevoir....

*jiggley pin = best name I could come up with at short notice..... :blink::lol:

There's a 'jiggley pin' in the cap? I've never noticed one.