Roof racks

Hi All,

Several questions all about the same thing, is there a roof rack, by that I mean of the typical cage design that fits a 90, but only from where the slope of the roof finishes behind/above the cab and then backwards to the rear door? Has anyone got one for sale or has pictures of what they look like mounted? or a supplier?

If there is such a beast available with it not stretching the length of the roof would it still support a spare wheel and still be able to function weight wise with luggage, etc?

Think thats all?

Cheers

Paul

Yes Land Rover do one in thier budget version, I used to have 1 with a rear door spare wheel mount bolted through it to hold the spare.

Specified weight is a problem with any roof rack because I think the LR recommendation from memory is 50kg max on the roof for stability reasons which probably isn't much more than the spare wheel on its own so in reality you need to ignore the recommended max weight to make any use of a roof rack?????????

Yes Land Rover do one in thier budget version, I used to have 1 with a rear door spare wheel mount bolted through it to hold the spare.

Specified weight is a problem with any roof rack because I think the LR recommendation from memory is 50kg max on the roof for stability reasons which probably isn't much more than the spare wheel on its own so in reality you need to ignore the recommended max weight to make any use of a roof rack?????????

150kg roof load, this came up in the 2 weeks.

150kg roof load, this came up in the 2 weeks.

Hi Western just quoting from LR hand books

From Defender owners hand book second edition 2003; IMPORTANT INFORMATION Always observe the following precautions *The MAXIMUM load for approved roof rack systems is 75 kg for normal road use and 30kg off-road. Calculation of the maximum load must include the weight of the roof rack.

The 50kg I previously quoted was from memory and probably from my Discovery 2 with calculation to also include the roof rack.

I assume these figures are just arse covering because they would make a roof rack basically useless if you followed them to the letter.

Max roof load for a Defender is 75kg

Now hold on....

For overlanding..it's 150kg

Go figure.

Try reading a little expensive book by Land Rover called "Working in the Wild, A Manual for Africa". Both weights are quoted in there.