Series 2a Indicator Switch Problem

92a

My indicator switch is messing about, when I indicate to turn right the "little light" on the switch does NOT always work but when I indicate to turn left it always does. Does anyone have any ideas how to cure this please? Angus (It's the type with the rubber wheel that rubs on the column) :(

Sounds to me that there is a contact issue.

It's been a while since I've owned an 2a, but I seem to remember that you can open the indicator unit to clean the contacts and even repair them.

Todd.

Sounds to me that there is a contact issue.

It's been a while since I've owned an 2a, but I seem to remember that you can open the indicator unit to clean the contacts and even repair them.

Todd.

Don't leave it too long, as it could do what mine did (when I had the 2A) and burn out. Be careful of springs and fiddly parts; isopropol alcohol (IPA) is the normal solvent used, but keep it off the rubber wheel. You can get replacement units and looky-likey things, but the cost means a clean will be worth trying.

My Right indicator works well in all situations. The left one works well until I apply the brakes, then it slows down and the little light dies in brightness. If its night time and I have my lights on, the little light remains gently illuminated all the time. If its night time and my main lights are on, I'm braking and I wish to turn left, the little light struggles to do anything, and the indicating is achieved by the red brake light 'pulsing' as opposed to the yellow indicator proudly flashing. These scenario's seem to apply to a greater extent when it is in pick-up mode. If I put the ifor williams pig pen on the back, it seems to cure itself. I suspect a bad earth...