110 Rebuild - Issues

Hi,

I have a 1988 110 that I am restoring but have a couple of issues with it. I bought it a couple of years ago but have since bought a house, changed jobs etc which has meant it has been parked up for most of that time. Since it has been parked up I seem to have lost most of the electrics.

The wipers wern't working at all until I took the steering binacle/wiper stalk to pieces and now I can't get them to turn off at all. I have rear side lights, normal lights and brake lights and also normal front head lights and main beam but no front sidelights, indicators, rear fog or reversing light. I have checked all the fuses but they are all fine. Anyone got any ideas?

The rear bump stop housing, the part that is welded/attached to the chassis has corroded away. Does anyone know the part number or where I can get replacements?

Also I have given it a complete service but it is still a bit sluggish. It was when I parked it up 2 years ago, this isn't a new problem. I have put a 200tdi engine in to replace the old 2.5NA. I thought it may be the fuels filter but I have changed these and it is still sluggish. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Rich

The rear bump stop housing, the part that is welded/attached to the chassis has corroded away. Does anyone know the part number or where I can get replacements?

not avaliable as a seperate part, you'll have to have the existing one repaired, the link above is incorrect for a 110,

front bump stop rubber block 110

rear bump stop rubber block 110

Since it has been parked up I seem to have lost most of the electrics.

The wipers wern't working at all until I took the steering binacle/wiper stalk to pieces and now I can't get them to turn off at all. I have rear side lights, normal lights and brake lights and also normal front head lights and main beam but no front sidelights, indicators, rear fog or reversing light. I have checked all the fuses but they are all fine. Anyone got any ideas?

Well, at least the wiper motor works! For them to run all the time after "servicing" the column switch my guess is either you've got the wires back in the wrong place or you've dropped something in the switch.

As to the list of non-working lights, there isn't a pattern - for instance the sidelights are all fed from one place, with seperate circuits for the left and right sides from the fusebox. This can only really be a break in the wiring in the fusebox.

I'd check behind the fuses (two screws) to make sure nothing's broken, melted, cracked, etc. as the stop lamp, reversing lamp and indicators are all fed from fuse 9.

I'd check behind the fuses (two screws) to make sure nothing's broken, melted, cracked, etc. as the stop lamp, reversing lamp and indicators are all fed from fuse 9.

Cheers, I'll give that a try. Fairly sure its not a shortciruit or incorrect wiring. Had it apart several times to check. Using haynes manual as a guide.

No chance of repairing the bump stops there is nothing left to repair! Does anyone know if it will fail an MOT without the rear bumpstops? Will have to fabricate something otherwise.

• 7 months later...