Removeable / quick-release steering wheel boss

I have a '96 300 Tdi soft-top - its in need of some security. I have considered the Meck Lock available thro' MUD - good but expensive.

I have seen a couple of folks on here mention they have removeable/quick release steering bosses fitted to their 90's.

I would like to do the same but am struggling to find an appropriate supplier - can any one help me please ?

Thanks

I know this is edging off the exact topic, but when you say 'good but expensive' regarding meck-lok, think about how much they cost (£350 ish) then how much your vehcle cost, and how much any kit fitted and stuff inside it cost, and put the amounts side by side, it doesn't seem too bad then!

thats how i justified getting one to my wife....

If I recall my days supplying aftermarket and racing steering wheels, the quick release units mean you have to weld the supplied spline onto your steering column. This might present problems when using the self cancelling indicator bit. We had a couple of hundred made up for the racing market but as I recall it was a prett closed shop and if your spline was different, no one wanted to know.

We stopped importing steering wheels, when collapsible steering wheel column bosses (designed to collapse if you are thrown against them in a crash) gave way to airbags and steering wheel mounted switches.

I have a QT Defender boss (not collapsible) and one of their rubber rimmed wheels (had a few leather ones in the past).

I do like the idea of a removable wheel, but for me its too much hassle.

"have to weld the supplied spline onto your steering column."

This is not the case when using an adapter such as the 'Snap-Off' kit which is for road use rather than racing, I have copied below my post from another forum regarding exactly the same subject. The conversion is easily carried out using a few hand-tools in about an hour or so.

I've had one on my soft-top 90 for several years now and it is a very good piece of kit.

The kit I have is a genuine 'Snap-Off' unit which fits between the boss and the wheel, the boss came from Mountney and the Snap-Off kit & 12-inch wheel came from Raid although any 6-hole pattern wheel will fit.

First establish which boss you need. I always say not to ring up lots of people and ask which column you SHOULD have (12 or 24 spline), remove the wheel and count the splines to see which column you actually DO have. Next buy your boss (like I said, I bought a Mountney one) but make sure it is the universal '6-hole' pattern and not for the 'Classic' range (which confusingly also uses 6-holes but the spacing is different!). Choose your wheel from the eye watering choice available (ensuring it is the '6-hole' pattern) and then fit one half of the Snap-Off kit to the boss and the other to your wheel.

For day to day operation the wheel is fitted by simply pulling on two sprung-loaded pins as you place the wheel onto the boss (a simple operation that you do without thinking after a while) but removing it requires a turn of a key as well.

The Snap-Off adaptor brings the wheel about 1.5 inches closer to the driver and the same distance further away from the stalks, the boss will do likewise (different bosses are different depths). I manage with mine perfectly well but my wife (who doesn't drive the vehicle so often) is not so keen.

Ok, like any security device it is only a deterrant to stop the passing scum. The top of the Snap-Off adaptor is slightly tapered so while someone could attach a large pair of vice-grips to it, it would be awkward with no gaurentee they would stay on for more than a few seconds. Security screws on the adaptor mean that removing that to get to the column is not a simple 2-minute job either.

Thanks Litch for your info.

Can you point me in the direction of your supplier Raid please... thanks

"have to weld the supplied spline onto your steering column."

This is not the case when using an adapter such as the 'Snap-Off' kit which is for road use rather than racing, I have copied below my post from another forum regarding exactly the same subject. The conversion is easily carried out using a few hand-tools in about an hour or so.

I've had one on my soft-top 90 for several years now and it is a very good piece of kit.

The kit I have is a genuine 'Snap-Off' unit which fits between the boss and the wheel, the boss came from Mountney and the Snap-Off kit & 12-inch wheel came from Raid although any 6-hole pattern wheel will fit.

First establish which boss you need. I always say not to ring up lots of people and ask which column you SHOULD have (12 or 24 spline), remove the wheel and count the splines to see which column you actually DO have. Next buy your boss (like I said, I bought a Mountney one) but make sure it is the universal '6-hole' pattern and not for the 'Classic' range (which confusingly also uses 6-holes but the spacing is different!). Choose your wheel from the eye watering choice available (ensuring it is the '6-hole' pattern) and then fit one half of the Snap-Off kit to the boss and the other to your wheel.

For day to day operation the wheel is fitted by simply pulling on two sprung-loaded pins as you place the wheel onto the boss (a simple operation that you do without thinking after a while) but removing it requires a turn of a key as well.

The Snap-Off adaptor brings the wheel about 1.5 inches closer to the driver and the same distance further away from the stalks, the boss will do likewise (different bosses are different depths). I manage with mine perfectly well but my wife (who doesn't drive the vehicle so often) is not so keen.

Ok, like any security device it is only a deterrant to stop the passing scum. The top of the Snap-Off adaptor is slightly tapered so while someone could attach a large pair of vice-grips to it, it would be awkward with no gaurentee they would stay on for more than a few seconds. Security screws on the adaptor mean that removing that to get to the column is not a simple 2-minute job either.

• 2 weeks later...