Oil pressure

Hello all,

I recently had a problem with the oil pressure light flickering on when on a long journey, just when the engine was at idle, after some good advise from members on here, and some very scarey advise, I changed the oil pressure switch and everything was good no more flickering light, that was about4 months ago, now the same flickering light came on the other day!! my question is could it be the switch being faulty(OME) or is it something more sinister? also there does seem to be a oil leak from around the area of the switch which I'm trying to track down! it seems to be coming from the oil cooler pipes, not a great big pool of oil say a map of britain on a A4 sheet of paper! could this have an effect on the oil pressure? and if so what is the advise for changing the oil cooler pipes ( and maybe flushing the rad out at the same time?) I'm pretty keen with oil changes I use Dura blend 10w 40 oil, and the landys done 172000 klm or 107000 miles.

Thanks for any advise

ted

The real solution is to check the oil pressure with an external oil pressure gauge.

In my experience (in africa where conditions are harsh) the oil pressure switches have given me a lot or trouble (even LR genuine switches). I have replaced lots for similar problems as the one you suggest. The last one came on after a deep river crossing in the middle of a pride of lions on the other bank.

I would check the pressure and if ok fit a new genuine switch.

As I am sure people have previously mentioned a flicking oil pressure light at low revs and warm is a sign if excessive wear in crankshaft bearings (ie engine is worn out). So make sure you check the pressure when the oil is warm.

Cheers

Nick

i concur with Nick, get a proper pressure guage on there. The light is next to useless anyway, as it activates at somehting like 3psi, so you can be happily driving around with 4psi of pressure and get no warning at all.

If your going to replace the switch again, then invest in one with a higher switching pressure, say 1bar, although you'll still be wise checking it with a guage first, as if the engine is old and worn a 1 bar switch might just stay on all the time at idle!

check the idle revs too, [750 to 800rpm] if lower the oil light will flicker, mine has done in the past, adjusting the idle stopped the flickering light.

Thanks everyone I will put new switch on and get the oil pressure checked, if want to up the revs how do I gauge the revs as I've not got a rev counter? cheers again

ted