Safari Snorkel Template

crispyme

I bought a second hand Safari snorkel recently for a 200 Tdi Discovery, but it being second hand it didn't come with fitting instructions or a template.

The instructions aren't a problem as they are on the Safari web site, however, there doesn't seem to be anywhere you can get a template from.

Does anyone have a scanned copy or a template they could lend / give me.

Alternativly has any one got the dimensions for the location of the main hole on the wing. Fixing holes I can work out.

regards

Chris

I bought a second hand Safari snorkel recently for a 200 Tdi Discovery, but it being second hand it didn't come with fitting instructions or a template.

The instructions aren't a problem as they are on the Safari web site, however, there doesn't seem to be anywhere you can get a template from.

Does anyone have a scanned copy or a template they could lend / give me.

Alternativly has any one got the dimensions for the location of the main hole on the wing. Fixing holes I can work out.

regards

Chris

Surely if you position the snorkel on the body of the car where it is likely to be fixed, then the location of where you need to cut the hole will make itself apparent???

Blimey Andy, what are you doing back on here!

I had a template but it has dissapeared i'm sorry. I too bought a 2nd hand snorkel but I was able to "borrow" the template from a new snorkel from the local 4x4 factors. I just made a copy of it and gave the original back unused. Could be worth asking at you local parts place if you have a good rapport with them?

@ chromoform.... it is unfortunately not easy to just hold it up to the car to see where to cut as it is all to pretty tight tolerances and you must drill 6 bolts holes relative to the hole for the entry to the wing!

I bought a second hand one a while back and ended up with the same problem. It's very easy to make your own template from the snorkel itself which can then be aligned from the top and rear corner of the wing. It doesn't have to be perfect anyway since it won't be seen once the snorkel is in place.

PS. a tip for cutting the hole in the wing. After marking it out drill a series of 4mm holes 1mm inside the mark all the way round so that the holes almost meet but not quite. Then go round and drill each hole out again with a 6mm drill bit. This will join up all the holes and leave a series of small peaks which are easy to remove with a file/dremel/grinder!

Cheers Mr Farmer, big helps,

I have tried to make a template from the snorkel, and placed it up, but wasn't happy with where it sat with regards to the (soon to be) hole for the air box (Mines a 300 Tdi, soon to have a 200 Tdi air box)

The reason I havn't already gone for cutting a nice big hole in the side is I would like it to look like a half decent job. Last thing I really want is a hole that doesn't represent what the hole should look like and also be obvious even with the snorkel. Thought if I wait for a template, it may have a half a good shot at it being right.

I contact the local 4x4 factors, see what they can do. I'm in no desperate hurry to get it on in anycase and would rather it be right.

Cheers guys

Eeyore

From memory you've got about 1.5" overlap from the edge of the hole to the edge of the snorkel - it'd be hard to get it that wrong. I think I could find a pic of the hole in the wing minus snorkel if it'd help?

Mark - I'm considering a series LR as a toy, I kinda miss the muddy stuff after a few years learning to play on motorbikes.