engine swap, disco to defender

As it says, i'm gonna put my 200 tdi auto into my 90.

i'd like to get it mobile asap, not road worthy but will start and drive in and out of my unit.

will the transmission pipes and rad / intercooler from the disco go into the 90?

will there be much messing about with the loom to take the disco engine?

Anything i should change whilst its out?

I changed mine from a Disco lump back to a Defender one.

All the loom was the same but i had to change power steering pipes & oil cooler as they had different fitting on the end of the pipes.

Hope this is of help??

so your saying discos and defenders have different fittings? ok i can live with that as the 90 has PAS so i can swap pumps / pipes etc

As it says, i'm gonna put my 200 tdi auto into my 90.

i'd like to get it mobile asap, not road worthy but will start and drive in and out of my unit.

will the transmission pipes and rad / intercooler from the disco go into the 90?

will there be much messing about with the loom to take the disco engine?

Anything i should change whilst its out?

After putting in a disco 200tdi lump into my 110 with a dead 19j td, one of the parts required will be an exhaust adaptor. Steve Parker does a kit as do a few others on ebay.

As to other bits, you'll need to cut and modify the radiator mounts as well as temp guage sender (there is a thread runningon this on the forum somewhere!) and you may need to modify the oil cooler pipes or get some made up.

Apart from that, it's a fairly easy task to put a disco lump into a 90/110 as the engine mountings are the same.

Think you'll find the pas pumps are different!! As for the oil cooler pipes they had a different connection where they bolt onto the engine side & the connections to the rad are different! luckely the bloke i bought the engine from told me to take the whole motor so if there was any pipework that needed changing i had it! & return motor when finished. The bit that connects the oil pipes to the side of the rad had to be changed to take the defender pipework. didn't take the rad from his car as someone else wanted it.

Yes the exhaust was different as well. I sleeved mine from the down pipe to the old exhaust with metal flexi pipe intil i got new one made up on motor.

With you skills you should be able to make a new down pipe

Heres a few pics of mine

clicky thumbs

th_Picture070.jpg

th_Picture067.jpg

th_Picture064.jpg

th_bits005.jpg

th_bits004.jpg

Oil cooler pipes were different as far as I can remember !

200Tdi position or 300 Tdi position as hoses will be different lengths of course :lol:

See if I can find a pic of the set up in the trayback before Tim stripped it out !

BEER & IMAGINATION!!!

Lots of bits of hose, heater, rad and turbo (including steel bits).

Temp sender is different, if you use the Disco one it over reads, Steve Parker does one (for a price)

Oil cooler pipes are a different length and thread on the Rad end but the adaptors do unscrew from the rad and can be replaced from a hydraulic supplier or similar.

PAS reservoir is on the other side but I believe has the same unions as the one you have so you MAY be able to use yours.

Exhaust manifold to downpipe is the expensive bit if you use Steve Parkers.

Bell housing is different but fits when you tap out the holes which are already there (I think) M10

Can't think of anything else at the moment but there is bound to be something. Best mod I ever did on my 90, I then put a Disco T-box on it too.

Andy

With you skills you should be able to make a new down pipe

Heres a few pics of mine

clicky thumbs

th_Picture070.jpg

th_Picture067.jpg

th_Picture064.jpg

th_bits005.jpg

th_bits004.jpg

Oil cooler pipes were different as far as I can remember !

200Tdi position or 300 Tdi position as hoses will be different lengths of course laugh.gif

See if I can find a pic of the set up in the trayback before Tim stripped it out !

Not bad that Les! good old dairy fittings.

As i said just want to be able to do the swap and have it running.

Just a thought and I am happy to be corrected but you may also need to consider having to move the gearbox mounts too in the Defender as the Disco bell housing is longer than a Defender one!

I did a Disco engine into a Defender not so long ago, but kept the Defender box due to this. I can vouch for the Steve Parker exhaust adapter, saved so much time!