Tyres ! Please help as I haven't a clue.

Hello,

Can anyone please enlighten me on the point of tubed and tubeless 7.50 R16 tyres on my Defender 110.

Is it possible to fit tubeless tyres onto tubed wheels (original 200tdi steel type) if using inner tubes? I've got the chance of some really good part worns and the tyre company who's got them says you can fit tubeless tyres if the inner tubes are used. the tyres on my defender are tubed at the moment.

Any ideas?? please.

Thanks for any light you can shed.

Kev English

Hello,

Can anyone please enlighten me on the point of tubed and tubeless 7.50 R16 tyres on my Defender 110.

Is it possible to fit tubeless tyres onto tubed wheels (original 200tdi steel type) if using inner tubes? I've got the chance of some really good part worns and the tyre company who's got them says you can fit tubeless tyres if the inner tubes are used. the tyres on my defender are tubed at the moment.

Any ideas?? please.

Thanks for any light you can shed.

Kev English

Go right ahead and change them back and forth no problem at all. I live in a very rural area and have no "shop" to have change done and do it myself all the time with no problem at all. But once you have gone away from tubes you most likely won't go back to them. The little wires in the tyre rubber often poke through and you get a flat. But not so with tubeless

Tubeless tyres can be used on a tube type wheel, (eg standard Land Rover steel wheel) BUT an inner tube MUST be fitted.

Of course you can fit them without tubes, BUT here in the UK it isn't 'legal' and you would have a hard time wriggling out of your responsibilities in the event of an accident or whatever.

Similarly, tube type tyres must NOT be used without an inner tube, even if fitted to a tubeless wheel.

Inner tubes are not to be fitted to the majority of alloy wheels because the wheel well profile is different to a steel wheel and the inner tube may not sit correctly.

As previously noted, tubeless tyres often have stickers and/or a less than smooth surface inside.

It is therefore VITAL to remove every trace of any stickers before fitting an inner tube. The tube will puncture over time if the stickers are left.

It is strongly recommended that you use a high quality inner tube such as Michelin Airstop if you have to use an inner tube in a tubeless tyre due to the fact that some tubeless tyres are not very smooth inside. The Michelin air stop is thick, strong, and resistant to chafing punctures.

Regards,

Diff