Help with my 1995 Range Rover Classic 4.2L

Arsene

Hi all.

I have recently had problem with my 1995 Range Rover Classic 4.2L LWB.

For some reason it wouldn't start so I took it to mechanic. He checked the fuel pressure, which was ok, then he checked the fuel injector relays under the dash of passenger side, he replaced one of relays, and finally he checked the fuses under hood, and 15A fuse was burned out. After replacing fuse the Rangie came back to life. But what happened next was that the idling would be unstable, jumping up and down, you could smell that the fuel was running rich, and fuel consumption increased by 50%. Also the truck lost his power while accelerating.

I would appreciate if anyone of gurus could list the possible causes of:

1.Cause of increasing of fuel consumption

2.Why engine is running rich

3.Unstable idling.

4.Loss of engine's power

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Arsene.

Sounds like it could be your CTS ( coolant temp sensor)

It'll not realise your engine is heating up and still throw lots of fuel in therefore giving the impression of overfuelling.

It above your thermostat housing.

Contact plug connected to it. Unscrew and fit a new one.

Possible that the ECU had detected the fault and gone into limp-home mode. This can be reset by turning off the ignition and then disconnecting the battery for 15 seconds. Make sure you know how to reset the radio before doing that though...

14 cux does not have a limp home mode!!!!

coolant temp sensor only use genuine or afm but really need to read ecu faults

Apologies for misleading information then - it is not always easy to find definitive facts on the 14CUX and since I have read in several places, words to the effect of (quoting some of them)...

www.v8forum.co.uk: "There are six fuelling maps in a 14CUX, one limp-home and five dedicated to a type of engine, i.e. 3.9/4.2, cat or noncat"

www.g33.co.uk : "The device itself contains multiple maps, such as catalyst, non catalyst, limp home, and some country specific ones for particular fuels."

RPi: (www.v8engines.com): "By the way, the default (Limp Home) tune is a cat map, so this usually makes a non-cat car run very rich."

www.jpurnell.com: "Land Rover systems utilise LOS (or "limp-home mode"). When particular faults are identified, the ECM implements LOS using programmed default values rather than sensor signals. This allows the vehicle to be driven to a test and repair site. Once the fault is cleared, the ECM reverts to normal operation."

...I had thought that this was the case.

Shows how easily one can be mislead by the internet!

Roger

Was it the fuel pump relay that was replaced ? If it was then check its the right one,the centre pin provides a feed to the Oxygen sensors.If this is not working correctly then you will get overfuelling as described and a lumpy idle.

well never told that when doing 14cux training! further more if in limp mode the ecu light will be on is it! if not then i can't be in limp mode never experienced one either.

have just read some of the sites and it is not a true limp mode thus cannot really be called limp mode! and unless the waraning light is on you will never know