Dilemma…

Dilemma…

My D reg 90 (retro fit 200tdi) has got quite a lot of rust on the chassis and I have replaced the outriggers and rear crossmember and have just found a small hole behind the bumper in the dumb irons on one side but it’s no great chasm so a little patch will sort it out.

The dilemma is do I keep the 90 and replace the chassis as I know the engine is sound or take a chance on another (new to me) 90 with a better chassis?

It seems that by the time I have spent the money and time doing a chassis job I could have got a whole possibly better vehicle for a little more money .

Thoughts and sage words welcome :unsure:

My advice would be leave it, plate it, live with it.... whilst you can still plate it you should try and repair what you have, Don't fool yourself Defenders command a lot of money at the moment and you would struggle to get something great for sensible money, there are a lot of decent looking trucks out there that have problems :http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=49267 so who's to say you would not get the same issues again.

for my two peneth I would sit back and wait, put a search in e-bay for a galv chassis, that someone "need's to sell" you may even get the other bits to do the job, rebuilt axels etc. If we have a good winter the price of defenders will come down again and you can make your mind up then.

Jason.

Dilemma…

My D reg 90 (retro fit 200tdi) has got quite a lot of rust on the chassis and I have replaced the outriggers and rear crossmember and have just found a small hole behind the bumper in the dumb irons on one side but it’s no great chasm so a little patch will sort it out.

The dilemma is do I keep the 90 and replace the chassis as I know the engine is sound or take a chance on another (new to me) 90 with a better chassis?

It seems that by the time I have spent the money and time doing a chassis job I could have got a whole possibly better vehicle for a little more money .

Thoughts and sage words welcome :unsure:

I would say it depends how attached you are to your 90. Many land rover owners I know enjoy and love their cars and the money aspect is often of secondary importance.

I've no idea the cost of a new chassis but imagine the satisfaction of not only doing the chassis change yourself but also the fact that you've kept your 90 on the road for many more years to come which for me personnally is an important aspect of land rover ownership. I've spent over double what I paid for my 90 and it needs a new bulkhead next year I imagine but I love it. Wife and friends think I'm mad...

I changed my chassis a few years ago for a galvanised one and it took me a good couple of weeks to do it all on my own-however I think as far as this goes It was a wise decision for me as I do want to keep my 90 for as long as I can the cost of the chassis is £1045.00 from this lot http://www.richardschassis.co.uk/defender.htm they also do a chassis swap service which had they done when I needed mine doing I would've probably gone to them to do The next stage of the galvanising thing for me as I'm slowly but surely getting all the steel parts galvanised will be the suspension components and then I'll be putting a galv'd bulkhead on there too

HTH

John

Thanks.

I will patch as for as long as I can I think and then bite the bullet and replace the chassis as my wife reminded me I have already bought loads of fresh parts to put on the 90 like a rust free bulkhead and doors so to sell the thing would be a waste of time. Thanks for the input it always helps to get advice from folks who have “been there and done that”

I agree with much above really. My chassis on the 110 is quite good for 21 years. Did the rear crossmember last summer and plated a couple of holes on the bulkhead outriggers. Got one remaining hole to be welded up under the gearbox crossmember. Will waxoyl the whole thing thoroughly after that, but anything else major, and its gonna get a new galv chassis - you get the chance to take everything apart and re-build then and IMO, although a lot of work, if done properly you will end up with a vehicle in much better condition than the same money would buy. Better the devil you know and all that.....