Defender Springs

Hi All

I am permanently unhappy about my springs on my 90.

I had a 2" lift done when I replaced all my springs and shocks (about July time last year and only done around 1500 miles since) and since then have never been happy about the roll that has come with it.

Originally the springs were Bearmach (Blue) 2" lift springs but I then upgraded the rears to Terrafirma Heavy Duty 2" lift, but im still not happy about it.

I am considering reverting back to standard ride height but with firmer springs. I went out in a friends 90 and it didnt seem to move at all round the bends, stayed completely stable.

So...the question...

Is there such a thing as heavy duty / firm standard height springs for front and rear of a defender 90 and if so...where from?

Thanks very much.

Not so sure about the direct answer to your question - but

Is it possible that your friends 90 is fitted with anti roll bars and maybe yours is not?

Also the suspension bushes seem have a big part in it too, particularly the front radius arm to axle ones.

A 90 I had a while ago had polybushes in which gave it a very firm ride in terms of body roll, whereas the one I got after had the standard (much softer) LR bushes and it rolled a lot more, neither of these had ARB's and both had similar (+2") springs.

To be honest, I preferred the ride with the soft LR bushes and the articulation was better too.

Thanks for that,

Ive thought about the Poly bush side and spoke to quite a few people about it and never seem to to get a definitive answer, some say its a big difference and others say its the springs....I was hoping it was the springs as its lots cheaper to put right and I can change the springs, i will have to have the garage do the bushes.

thanks for your advice though, it might be the way forward after all.

What dampers are you using I had pro comps and then changed to decarbons which are much firmer a ride. I'm using red whites so the springs are pritty soft really.

Dave.

I have de Carbons all round

Only Land Rover specify different spring between drivers and passenger

Aftermarket suspension providers only cater for front and back not driver/passenger so don't get to bogged down with that.

Unless someone out in LR4x4 land knows otherwise!

How old are your de Carbons? There expensive shocks so would expect them to perform.

I think "crwoody’s" thought of anti-role bars on your mates 90 is something to check.

de Carbons were put on last year, whole set up was done at the same time so its not done any serious stuff, bit of off raoding earlier this year for the Mac 4x4 but nothing strenuous....im thinking its just my view on the set up and its probably fine, I just dont like the way it leans on bends and roundabouts but I also think some of it is the lift.

Forgive my ignorance but are the ARB's front and rear???

Hard to fit???

Well normally rear, as that is where the load can vary.

I have to say I'm a Range Rover man and not up on the newer defenders.

My first Land Rover was an old 90 with a 2" Bearmach lift and it handled fine.

Generally off-roaders remove anti-role bars to give more articulation.

Do you carry a lot of gear in the back of your 90?

A friend of mine doubled up on his shocks on a disco and almost turned it into a race car, very harsh ride but went very well into corners.

Hard to fit?

Depends on whether you have the relevant brackets on the axles and chassis to fit them.

If you have the brackets and the parts no not at all

Your have to pick them up second hand as new ones are stupid price.

Does your 90 really lean at really alarming angles?

Hard to fit?

Depends on whether you have the relevant brackets on the axles and chassis to fit them.

If you have the brackets and the parts no not at all

Your have to pick them up second hand as new ones are stupid price.

Does your 90 really lean at really alarming angles?

Like I said...Im starting to think its just me as most people think its ok, only one other person has ever really commented on it but it seems a big lean to me.

No brackets etc so ARB may not be the way forward.

Possibly polybush could be a solution....thats been advised several times, only thing putting me off is the actual extraction of the old bush.

Does anybody know if there is one of those idiots guide to polybush replacement on here somewhere...with pics as a preference???

I know i just gave up on trying to remove my rubber steel bushes. Unless you work somewhere with a rather large press you just can't get em out. I'm sure once you have the polybushes in they are easy to change. As i understand it they need to be cos they don't last.