RRC tired air springs

MikeAK

Hi,

My 1993 RRC has just passed its MOT :D so I'll be keeping it for another year at least. So now I need to decide what to do about the tired air springs. The RR is on the bump stops every morning but it does lift very quickly suggesting the pump etc is OK. The spring rubbers are very perished with canvas type material showing in places, spraying them with soapy water from a plant spray results in more pretty bubbles than kids birthday party!

I need to decide if I replace the air springs or convert to coils.

So far I have had NO problems with the air suspension in the 14 months I've had it (other than sinking overnight).

The electical side doesn't bother me, I do electronics for a living.

I've not had an air suspension model before and have found the ride to be "bouncy" compared to coil RRs I've had before. Could that be down to the rubber hardening with age? I don't want to replace them and sill be "bouncy". Shocks are fine so not them.

Replacment rubbers can be had for approx £140 vs approx £90 for coil conversion so not a huge difference.

Whats general opinion on the best way to go?

Whats peoples experience of the ride when new air springs fitted, should I expect it to still be "bouncy" compared to coils?

Thanks

Mike

What do you use it for? If it's a road car I would replace the air springs, they ride well if working properly. If your going to off road and are looking to upgrade the suspension then I would convert to coils.

Brookers

i've converted my RRC to coils. but i wanted more axle travel for offroad than with air suspension.

For road car and very light terrain i would leave there air suspension. on road i found it much better than coils.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Usage is road and light off road, farm tracks some of which are impassable in a normal car and muddy fields etc, but not "mud plugging".

Would rather keep it original but don't want to spend the money and still have the "bouncy" ride.

Mike

Thanks for the info Geoff, shock definatly OK. Yes harsh would probably be a better description than bouncy.

It doesn't bounce along after a bump like bad shocks would do, but if you go over something like a speed bump or large pothole instead of the suspension absorbing the bump you "bounce" over it as though extremly stiff springs are fitted.

As yours improved dramatically after fitting new air springs I think will order a set of rubbers next week.

Thanks

Mike

My old man is actually in the process of replacing the bellows on his '94 classic. Not a difficult job once you get them apart. Personally I would go for air over coils for road use.

I would stick to air suspension. Smoother ride and possible to have the same or even more articulation.

I have heard that exchanging bellows is an easy job and inexpensive. But it will not last as long as new air springs.

The way to go is to get for example Arnott Inc air springs.

It is not that more expensive to get new air springs to new bellows. And they are longer than the original.

I have heard that exchanging bellows is an easy job and inexpensive. But it will not last as long as new air springs.

Why would they not last as long? The pistons at either end don't suffer any significant wear, they will last the lifetime of the truck.

It is a fairly easy job - you'll find my write up of it in the tech archive. It's a less clear cut choice now, though, as the price of complete units isn't as steep.

Why would they not last as long? The pistons at either end don't suffer any significant wear, they will last the lifetime of the truck.

It is a fairly easy job - you'll find my write up of it in the tech archive. It's a less clear cut choice now, though, as the price of complete units isn't as steep.

As I said it is what I heard. From one that bought new bellows, installed them and they did not last long. So he bought Arnott. Maybe it was not done properly.

Hi again,

Had a ride in a workmates RRC on air suspension today and its completely different to mine, MUCH smoother over bumps.

Ordered a full set of rubbers today, supplier claims the're original Dunlop ones so hopefully will be as good as complete air springs.

Thats next weekend taken care of!

Regards

Mike