Discovery 2 woes

RangeyRover

I have the use of my dad's discovery to as my car is broken, beyond economic repair.

Really quite enjoying biffing about in the discovery which is a 2002 model TD5

It does enjoy some of the the usual discovery problems.

The drivers window lunched itself into quite a spectacular-esque shape which took an angle grinder and several penny washers to temporarily fix.

New regulator on order.

There is a rumbling in the drivetrain somewhere between 70 and 80 miles an hour which doesnt go away the faster you go. :)

I think it might be the rotoflex coupling but from reading through the forums it seems also to be a possibility that the wheel bearings have gone, as the three Amigos are evident on the dash as well as the brake warning light.

I understand that three Amigos are a failure of an ABS transducer, do I need a nanocom or similar to reset the fault codes?

The car brakes and stops absolutely fine but obviously the ABS and traction control and hill descent are not working at the moment.

and to top it all I completely fill up the fuel tank and now find a slight weep at the back-end, which looked as though it could be leaked through the ventilation system or that the tank just has a hole in it at the very top.

Any ideas welcomed please guys particular with regards to the drivetrain noise.

Drivetrain noise could be the double UJ on the front propshaft - this will create a vibration. Otherwise could be lots of things.

The three amigos just indicate a fault somewhere, most common could be a sensor but you need to read the diagnostic codes before you do anything as otherwise you are just wasting money.

• 6 months later...

Next up in the Discovery 2 saga is the blown drivers headlight.

What monkey thought of this design?

This is supposed to be a USER replaceable part

Tools needed:

Allegedly: Philips screwdriver

Actually: Philips screwdriver, Tap and die set, drill, New M8 Set screws, Araldite, Patience...

Replacing headlights

1. Remove Grill!
  2. Shear off philips screws
  3. Curse!
  4. Decide to undo torx head screws
  5. Shear them off too.
  6. Curse!
  7. Drill out sheared torx heads
  8. Break many drill bits
  9. Curse!
  10. Tap holes to M8 thread
  11. Put in some proper hex head set screws with grease (please note Land Rover!)
  12. Araldite in new nut into very expensive headlamp housing £195 eek!
  13. Replace headlamp
  14. Idly wonder where afternoon has gone
  15. receive b*llocking from her indoors for mucking about with Land Rover all afternoon
  16. Silently Curse under breath!
  17. Decide not to mention that I'm fixing the Drivers window mechanism tomorrow...

And if you have the easy to change pull out headlights remember that the Disco I late model headlight is prezackly the same size apart from the black bit around the outside. And the Disco I lights are less than half the price so you can change both and get nice bright lights.

The car is a "52" plate, but an 03 MY

It is not garaged, and the front end is definitely showing signs of LR disease, corrosion on most fittings, chassis and front body mounts at rear of engine. It reminds me very much of my 1990 RR classic, which had rusted through in EXACTLY the same places.

Some pics to illustrate the previous post.

To be honest I was posting to help others, as I have managed to sort it. I was just astounded at the rigmarole to change a lamp.

It's not much of a tech article, but the Owners Handbook method will ensure that you give yourself an expensive or time consuming problem.

Replacing headlights

* Remove Grill!

imag0071s.th.jpg

* Shear off philips screws

* Curse!

imag0074w.th.jpg

Note the little philips screw under the flap on the right hand side, which is why you have to remove the grill...

* Decide to undo torx head screws

* Shear them off too.

* Curse!

imag0073j.th.jpg

Note that there is one torx bolt surviving. Don't try to undo the philips head bolts if you live in an area that salt the roads. They will either shear or the retained knurled ring in the plastic housing will pull out. Ask me how I know...

* Drill out sheared torx heads

* Break many drill bits

* Curse!

* Tap holes to M8 thread

* Put in some proper hex head set screws with grease (please note Land Rover!)

* Araldite in new nut into very expensive headlamp housing £195 eek!

* Replace headlamp £25 for an H7! Ow!

imag0075d.th.jpg

* Idly wonder where afternoon has gone

* receive b*llocking from her indoors for mucking about with Land Rover all afternoon

* Silently Curse under breath!

* Decide not to mention that I'm fixing the Drivers window mechanism tomorrow...