Are my springs knackered?

optixelectrics

Hi All.

Does anyone know what the distance is supposed to be between the top of the tyre (235/75/16) and the bottom of the arch on a 200TDi Disco S1. Some of the other Discos at the off-road courses have 2" lift kits on them and seem to be much higher than just 2" when compared to mine. I doubt it has been touched since new (1993). I cant go for the 2" lift, as I spend most of my life at 65-70mph and don't want to remove the anti roll bar to get the added lift (and then be limited by wandering steering to 50mph.....). I am looking at fitting the ARB diff locker for the rear diff as well, but need to get the ground clearance sorted first.

Thanks.

I would have thought if they are the factory springs they would be a bit tired by now! :unsure:

Why not try a set of H/D standard height springs? (Bearmach blue, or genuine) You could then go on to add a 1" spacer if you didnt want the full 2".

I went to a 2" lift and have no problems with the handling,infact it made it better, still got anti roll bar on though, i do a fair amount of motorway miles too, still sits quite happy at 75-80mph

Ian ;)

I would have thought if they are the factory springs they would be a bit tired by now! :unsure:

Why not try a set of H/D standard height springs? (Bearmach blue, or genuine) You could then go on to add a 1" spacer if you didnt want the full 2".

I went to a 2" lift and have no problems with the handling,infact it made it better, still got anti roll bar on though, i do a fair amount of motorway miles too, still sits quite happy at 75-80mph

Ian ;)

Ian, thanks for the quick reply. I am seriously tempted to go for the 2" lift, but the roll bar was my main concern. With the kit you fitted, and the A-R Bar still on, did you get the full 2" lift?

Did mine at 87k.

Replaced with Gas dampers and HD stdheight springs.

Gave me a 1" lift and a much better ride. :)

What kit was that? after reading the bit from Ian about the donuts, I cant afford to keep having it off the road to change them on a regular basis. My disco has done 144000, so is definitely due some suspension repairs....

I replaced the prop donut when I bought the truck, and it lasted me about 3 months. That was with no lift, indeed 14 year old tired suspension, probably. I replaced the donut with a genuine proper good one (I've a feeling in my early naivety, the first may have been a britpart one), and lifted the truck by a small amount at roughly the same time. So far, it still looks healthy.

The chap at the local dealer also said that some trucks just east donuts, even non lifted and using proper donuts. He did not know why.

Funny enough, im not to sure what make my doughnut was! but it was showing signs of wear about a week later!

brought it off ebay cheap! so could have well been Sh*tpart, the thing just exploded :blink:

Luckily did save the old genuine one, so its now back on untill i pick up a 200 prop and flange

Very happy with the set up(Terrafirma medium) like anything though, the moment you go away from "standard" you will start getting knock on effects through the drive train,

As i said im now looking at getting cranked rear radius arms, different prop, etc.

I use mine every day for work too, so i do have to be a bit carefull with it off road, its not just a toy.

Saying that im about to go for larger tyres for off roading, so im bound to bugger something else up soon!

The joys of LR ownership! :D

I went for the Bearmach blue (HD) standard height springs. Was very happy with them initially, but they seem to have gone soft very quickly... to the point where I think they're a bit rubbish. At first they gave a good ride compared to the LR originals, but now even gentle offroading seems to have the axle and bump stops meeting on a regular basis.

the doughnut is only fitted to the 300tdi and not to the 200tdi so you wont't have that problem, the doughnut is fitted in place of a uj on the rear or the rear propshaft the 200 has a normal uj so no problems with it, many people change them for a 200 prop and diff flange to get rid of the rubbish thing. i have a prop and flange to fit but can't be bothered at the moment, some day i will, probably when the doughnut fails. :D

the doughnut is only fitted to the 300tdi and not to the 200tdi so you won't have that problem, the doughnut is fitted in place of a uj on the rear or the rear prop shaft the 200 has a normal uj so no problems with it, many people change them for a 200 prop and diff flange to get rid of the rubbish thing. i have a prop and flange to fit but can't be bothered at the moment, some day i will, probably when the doughnut fails. :D

Gripper, Thanks for the info, I didn't realise that I didn't have a doughnut on it, but then I haven't been underneath it for a proper look yet.

Is the doughnut the only issue with the 2" lift kits?

Like you I suspect after 160,000 miles and 17 years my springs are not all they should be since it looks very low compared to most Discos round here. I've been considering the RRC police springs from M&M which come in at about £45 for all four, should give a mild lift and are cheap enough that if they turn out to be awful it isn't the end of the world. Has anybody fitted them to a Disco?

• 1 month later...

Like you I suspect after 160,000 miles and 17 years my springs are not all they should be since it looks very low compared to most Discos round here. I've been considering the RRC police springs from M&M which come in at about £45 for all four, should give a mild lift and are cheap enough that if they turn out to be awful it isn't the end of the world. Has anybody fitted them to a Disco?

Did you get these springs in the end? are they any good?

I ended up going for a set of Britpart HD standard height springs and Super gaz shocks. They've only been on for a month so I can't comment on longevity but so far I'm extremely pleased with them. Whilst fitting them the rear anti roll bar dropped off but despite that mit stays pretty much level through corners and feels much more stable in general, personally I think that more than compensates for the increased jolts from lumps in the road. I was concerned that they would make greenlaning too uncomfortable but while they do exacerbate the drops and ridges they have eliminated the travel that was there before which leads to the vehicle feeling much more controlled and stable. The car ended up about an inch over standard height and sits level although a tiny bit higher at the front which should go when I can stretch to a winch, it's less than 1/2" difference anyway so not something to worry about. The main thing that swayed me in my choice was that the whole lot turnd up at my door for £150 courtesy of Island 4x4 so I'm not too worried about lifespan. Mine ended up going up by about 5" from the previous height which looked pretty strange until I got used to it.