Paris-Dakar

Tank

Hi,

Im planning on doing the Paris Dakar Rally in 2008. I am thinking about basing the vehicle on an old Discovery series 1. Has anyone got any views on this or anything that would be better. I have decided that a 90 would be too slow and not very comfortable, so went for the disco.

Also has anyone on here done the paris dakar or know anyone who has done it?

Thanks

First thing would be the uprated springs to carry the significant entrance fee.

Second go and give £90k to a chap in Derbyshire.

Thirdly find and fund a support crew with at least £20k.

If your still smiling, do you need an unfunded co-pilot? :)

I know nothing about the sport but as the body mounts on a Discovery regularly break off in even mildly interesting/bumpy ON-ROAD conditions (i.e. here) I reckon you'd be finishing the Paris-Dakar with it restrained only by ratchet straps! Of course you may be planning on cutting it all off and building something new so this may not apply :)

Hi,

Im planning on doing the Paris Dakar Rally in 2008. I am thinking about basing the vehicle on an old Discovery series 1. Has anyone got any views on this or anything that would be better. I have decided that a 90 would be too slow and not very comfortable, so went for the disco.

Also has anyone on here done the paris dakar or know anyone who has done it?

Thanks

I like your way of thinking Steve,sadly i already have a co-pilot, and im am presently sorting sponsership out, i know its a lot of money!!

I am hoping to take the cheaper option and put a few spares in a british truck that is going, that means i dont have to sourse my own support team

And thanks BogMonster, i think i will build it up from scratch, unless anyone has got a better vehicle to use.

If you come along to the Midland safari at Quatt on the 17th September Events you will find a couple of people who could help you. Chris Hammond, who competed the Dakar this year, is planning to go and it's the home of Ian Rochelle who competes internationally. He recently did the Tunisian Rally. Hugh Haines, winner for the French Baja is expected too.

For Bowler fans it's a bit of a Wildcat fest.