TD5 Starting issue..

Evening,

I need some advice please :-)

Had a alarm device fitted today on my 1999 TD5 90 Defender and all went well. Since the guy left I noticed the clocks in the dashboard were touching the unit so I whipped off the dashboard 'pod' with the speedo, temp etc in it. Surprised to find the Green 10AS alarm unit screwed to the back of the dash (I didn't get any fobs with the car and there's no motion sensor in the cab). Anyway, unscrewed it and moved it further down behind the dash and them moved the alarm device down on top of it. All good so far - I even started it up to check all was good, and it was.

Put it all back together and now all I get when I turn the key are relays clicking like mad under the drivers seat/in the fuse box by the gear stick and under the bonnet! I'm getting 11volts on the battery before I turn the key and this drops down to 8/6volts when the relays are going off. The starter appears to try to turn but I can't be sure.

I'm thinking it's the battery but what concerns me is that I've found a orange coloured wire with a grey stripe down it from the green plug on the Alarm unit with a bare end - as if it's been pulled out from somewhere. I've tried tracing it but it's getting dark now and I just can't see where it went or a corresponding wire...

Does anyone have a clue what this wire is? Does it sound like the battery is dead...soleniod perhaps. I'm concerned it's all a bit a coincidence since I moved the alarm down.

cheers,

Spoons

I think you'll find the orange wire is actually the receiver aerial for the 10AS alarm unit, it just hangs loose from the plug as you found.

It sounds like you have a flat battery but it could just be a loose terminal connection on the battery or a loose earth connection from battery to chassis or chassis to engine.

I think you'll find the orange wire is actually the receiver aerial for the 10AS alarm unit, it just hangs loose from the plug as you found.

It sounds like you have a flat battery but it could just be a loose terminal connection on the battery or a loose earth connection from battery to chassis or chassis to engine.

Brilliant! Thanks CRWoody....I was really concerned about that little wire. I'll get out and check all the earth connections in the morning... Hopefully it's that or if not a new battery. I've only had the TD5 a week so have no idea how long it's been in there - it's a Halfords one...

Thanks again

Does sound like a flat battery, 11v at rest is indicative of a very discharged battery.

usually a full battery registers 12.6ish, and a flat one around 12.2v

Try jump starting it and if it starts then take the battery off and charge it up!

Does sound like a flat battery, 11v at rest is indicative of a very discharged battery.

usually a full battery registers 12.6ish, and a flat one around 12.2v

Try jump starting it and if it starts then take the battery off and charge it up!

It was the battery :-) Just replaced it with one of Halfords finest and all is OK now. Thanks everyone for your advice.