wolf. what do you think?

im hoping you give me some advise iv been offered a 90 wolf built on a 90 chassis with all original wolf parts, the engine is a 300 wolf & has done around 10k its on a d reg & the guys asking £8250

do you think this a good deal? any help you could give would be gratefully received

thanks riprse

Do you want a wolf?

do you want the 'originality' of the wolf?

As you've said you want to mod to compete in challenges etc, i'd say paying for a 'wolf' isnt worth it, as soon it wont be a wolf anymore!!

If it's just a standard 90 chassis its not that wolf, as i think they had a HD chassis.

For what you want to do (i think), i'd say paying this much for something you dont particulary want, isn't worth it.

Luke

its true that its not what i had in mind, But, i never thought that id get the chance to by one .although i have alsways admired them. if i bought this one id leave it as it is . but do you think its the right money for it ,the engine has done about 10k

I think you have answered your own question here. Wolfs are great and I have driven many while in the forces on a variety of terraines and always performed extremely well. None the less it's a lot of cash for something that is essentially not the genuine article. A while ago I was looking for a LHD Defender and came across a non-genuine Camel Trophy vehicle that I was tempted to buy. The problem was that it was overpriced and I decided that there was no way this premium could be justified - especially for something that was non-genuine.

Setting aside the Wolf issue £8000+ would buy you a lot of 90 or 110 elsewhere

Guest diesel_jim

I'd say not.

the proper wolf has a different chassis, with different rear body mountings, and different axles.... have you checked these too?

I'd say not.

the proper wolf has a different chassis, with different rear body mountings, and different axles.... have you checked these too?

im getting the feeling its only worth about 6k. as it doesnt have the real wolf chassis. would i be right? i really like it, but i think if i buy & keep it for a couple of yrs im going to take a big drop on it when its time to sell

It's worth what someone will pay for it.

Basically it's a hybrid. I would question origin of chassis, engine etc and want to trace numbers, making sure they are not faked too.

I would steer clear if I was you. Don't take this the wrong way, but as you have said you are not experienced in LR's enough to know what is what when buying this type of vehicle so walk away.

If you want something different and capable of challenge comps look at Ripley's Tomcat project that he is half way through. You can learn some of the basics while you finish the rest of the project.

Talk to Devon 4x4 as well and see what they have in your budget. They are a company you can trust to give you sound advice and not rip you off.

Cheers

Steve

a d reg 300tdi rebuild is worth less that 6K, it depends how much you value the 'wolf' effect, which isnt genuine.

Is this the first vehicle you've looked at/contemplated an offer on?

if so, it's worth waiting to find what you want, rather than getting in there straight away.

Luke

a wolf is something iv always wanted. & i dont doubt that all the parts are the real wolf parts (except the chassis) as its coming from a well established company & i dont mind it being a replica , i just wouldnt want to pay over the odds. iv only owned new landys in the past so i dont really know the going rate for a hybrid

Your 'Wolf' is NOT a Wolf and £8000 is too much to pay for it - in my opinion. But as previously stated, something is worth (to you) whatever you are prepared to pay for it. 'Cost' - 'Value' - 'Worth' are all very subjective terms and as you have correctly stated the re-sale value may be considerably less than £8000.

Your 'Wolf' is NOT a Wolf and £8000 is too much to pay for it - in my opinion. But as previously stated, something is worth (to you) whatever you are prepared to pay for it. 'Cost' - 'Value' - 'Worth' are all very subjective terms and as you have correctly stated the re-sale value may be considerably less than £8000.

oh bugger. i hate when this happens. i know its to much money, if it was 6k id of bought it by now but i think i'll leave it.

thanks for all the input though guys

i'd steer clear.

its not the real deal, but as others have said, a hybrid using wolf parts.

the rest could be a mixture of odds and ends that will make servicing a nitemare with the vehicle out of action while you try to order the correct parts. :(

the real wolfs share very little with civvy defenders of the same age, axles are different, chassis, body, all sorts.... :(

genuine wolf components cost a fortune, so you don't realy want to be damaging them on off-road play days.

i'd love a wolf, but the article in this months LRM about buying a wolf tells you all you need to know... there are a lot of rebuilds out there which you don't know the history or the quality of the workmanship...

just because it is being supplied by a known face it doesn't mean it wasn't built using a patched 20 year old chassis in someones garden.... which is fine, but not for £8250...... :rolleyes::(

cheers

m@tt.

I have seen on Eblag that there are two apparent examples of Wolfs for sale. One appears to be the real deal with a Buy-Now price of £18,000 and the other looks just like a normal exRAF 300tdi hard top but says its a Wolf (Hmm) for about £2,500.

If you are new to the Land Rover scene take your time to look around and get used to what's for sale. I have owned 7 Land Rovers of varying types since the mid-1980s and it took me over a year to source the 110 CSW I now have but it worth the wait. Like many others I have previously bought with my heart rather than my head - unfortunately it is the head that has to repair (and pay for) the damned things!

all good points. but i do have to say again ALL the parts except the chassis are wolf. the company who are selling it are the ones that built it. they had a 90 chassis & all the wolf parts so they built it . and have been using it for a couple of yrs . i dont think i will buy it because its over priced , but if the price was right i would have snapped it up. the head wins this time

Well it may have all been built from Wolf parts but that doesn't make it a Wolf and the chassis is a pretty significant part of the vehicle. Save your pennies and go but a real one - those in LHD configuration are a little cheaper and for off-road comps the handing make little difference.