Indicators packed up

One for the defender wiring loom boffins amongst you...

Driving back from a comp safari yesterday and everything started to go wrong. Fisrt the top turbo hose decided to pop off the inlet manifold letting all the pressure out, which proved interesting towing up hills, the the indicators and fuel gauge packed up.

Indicators being slightly more important than a fuel gauge I've decide to tackle this problem first.

Things I've tried are:

- Swapped the hazard switch for a known good spare I had - no change.

- Run a wire between the purple and off to each indicator wire from the plug on the back of the hazard switch - indicators come on solid as expected.

- Flasher relay works ok with the hazards, fuses are fine.

Any thoughts on the next step? I was going to take the column top cowl off and have a poke around inside with the multimeter to check that there's volts going through the switch, then start tracing the wires from there depending on what I find.

I guess there is a chance the fuel gauge issue may be related as they went at around about the same time.

Correct me if I am wrong but are there not two seperate relays?- one for hazard lights and one for indicators... So your indicator one has packed up :ph34r:

on some vehicles without towing equipment fitted, but majority have a combined unit, mines a blue translucent plastic cased Hella unit behind the fusebox.

sounds like the problem as mentioned above.

Correct me if I am wrong but are there not two seperate relays?- one for hazard lights and one for indicators... So your indicator one has packed up :ph34r:

Not on a TD / 200Tdi. The one flasher relay does the indicators and the hazards - the hazard switch changes the wiring to achieve this.

Do the hazards work at all? Ign on, off or neither?

Do the reverse light and brake lights work?

The only point the hazards and fuel gauge share a wire is where the white wires feeding each fuse connect, as they are (as built :ph34r: ) each on seperate fuses.

I'll see if I can scrounge a spare flasher relay just to eliminate that one. Mine is a 4 pin one, black housing with LR logo on it.

My suspicion is that there's a lack of volts somwhere between the feed for the switch and the flasher relay, so I'll have a poke around with the meter later on and see which bits are electrified.

To answer questions: Hazards work fine, all the time as they should. Not checked the reverse and brake lights.

I'll see if I can scrounge a spare flasher relay just to eliminate that one. Mine is a 4 pin one, black housing with LR logo on it.

My suspicion is that there's a lack of volts somwhere between the feed for the switch and the flasher relay, so I'll have a poke around with the meter later on and see which bits are electrified.

To answer questions: Hazards work fine, all the time as they should. Not checked the reverse and brake lights.

Key wire is light green / brown , which goes hazard switch - indicator stalk - flasher relay. It must be connected through (cos the hazards work), but not working at the indicator stalk (which could be the switch itself) If you short the LG/B to green/white or green/red at the back of the indicator stalk plug and the indicators suddenly work, then its the switch.

Key wire is light green / brown , which goes hazard switch - indicator stalk - flasher relay. It must be connected through (cos the hazards work), but not working at the indicator stalk (which could be the switch itself) If you short the LG/B to green/white or green/red at the back of the indicator stalk plug and the indicators suddenly work, then its the switch.

Splendid - will give that a shot. Thanks Errol

Sussed it!

I checked the brake lights as errol suggested, and nada. Which led me to poking around by the fuse that serves the fuel gauge, indicators and brake lights (top row, 5 in). Although the fuse itself was fine, one of the wires attached to it had sheared off.

Remade the end and it's now sorted! Cheers for the pointers everyone.