'Tock' sound just after starting engine

Tony58

Hello, I'm new here. Got a Freelander 2 GS (manual gearbox) a couple of months ago. Pretty happy with it, but wondering if anyone can explain this:

When I start the engine, just as all the warning lights go out on the intrument panel, I hear this 'tock' sound (definitely 'tock' and not 'tick' :) ). It seems to co-incide with one of the lights going out, and because it happens every time I assume it is normal.

I was in a automatic the other day, and it didn't make this noise on start up, so my question is ... do other Freelander drivers hear this noise, and what causes it?

Cheers.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I looked carefully at the warning lights today, and now I'm totally confused ...

The 'tock' sound seems to co-incide with the 'Check Engine' amber warning light going out when the engine starts.

But according to page 96 of the manual the Check Engine warning light is only for petrol engines. My car is a diesel.

I'd be interested to know if any other drivers of diesel models see the Check Engine lamp when they start the engine. It's in the tachometer, between the oil level lamp and the seat belt lamp.

Thanks.

Well I found out that another Freelander / manual / diesel also has the Check Engine light, so the driver's manual is a bit confusing there.

But the other car didn't make the 'tock' noise as the warning lights went out.

Must be something about mine. I'll pop into the dealer sometime, though it's probably nothing of any significance.

Still interested if anyone else has the same sound.

Well I found out that another Freelander / manual / diesel also has the Check Engine light, so the driver's manual is a bit confusing there.

But the other car didn't make the 'tock' noise as the warning lights went out.

Must be something about mine. I'll pop into the dealer sometime, though it's probably nothing of any significance.

Still interested if anyone else has the same sound.

Mine (FL2/diesel/manual)does not make this "tock" sound.

HI Tony not sure but my defender does the same... the only thing i noticed was as soon as the tock sound happens my volt meter goes up to 14volts - i reckon yours is the same and must be alternator related... be interested to know.. hold a volt meter on it before and keep it on while starting the car?

Cheers

oh i changed my alternator and it still does it so must be a relay somewhere :D

It'll probably be the glowplug timer relay dropping out, it stays closed after the warning light extinguishes on start up, my 110 does a similar thing.once it's dropped off the power the voltmeter will rise as glowplugs ned a fair bit of juice to get to there full operating temp.

• 3 weeks later...

Only a wild thought, but do not ABS pump's do some sort of a self test on start up ending with a knock once they are ready ? My old Calibra used to do that ( with a very quite fast bdbdbdbdbd then a louder tock at the end ). I likely way off, just its a thought though. Guess with the bonnet up and good ears and a few start up's the noise might be isolated to a specific area, and from there it may be easier to locate what it is exactly doing it.