Advice Needed

Thanks for all the info Paul - your a star mate..

It certainly looks from your diagrams as though the TD5 and P38 petrol pump connectors are the same. I can but hope...

Once i take delivery of the chassis harness i will report back and take it from there. Fingers crossed it is, as Mo says, plug-and-play...

Well, harness arrived today. Guess what..... Fuel pump connector not even close. In fact, it doesnt even bare any resemblance to a TD5 connector...

The connector on the harness has 3 inline female slots for spades. It has 3 wires feeding it: Orange/Green, Black, and White/Green..

Im at a loss again. I was at least expecting the connector to look like the TD5 one shown above. sad.gif

Well, harness arrived today. Guess what..... Fuel pump connector not even close. In fact, it doesnt even bare any resemblance to a TD5 connector...

The connector on the harness has 3 inline female slots for spades. It has 3 wires feeding it: Orange/Green, Black, and White/Green..

Im at a loss again. I was at least expecting the connector to look like the TD5 one shown above. sad.gif

Can you post up a picture of the connector on your harness and the connector on the P38 Fuel Pump?

I might be able to identify the connectors.

Oh dear. If thats the case, ill need to hack off the fuel pump connector and splice in the correct type..

Problem i have is that i only have 3 wires going to the connector - the TD5 type has 4 feeding it, if i read things correct?

First off -

The male connector half on your fuel pump looks like a 4-way AMP Econoseal -

ESC4M-400.jpg

and the mating female half -

ESC4F-400.jpg

(pics are 'clicky' and will take you to the relevant page on the Polevolt website)

Check dimensions -

post-148-128207303252_thumb.jpg

As for the pictures of the connectors on your loom - which one is which?

The first one looks Sumitomo/Yazaki?

The second one is what the petrol P38 and TD5 Defender are supposed to have on the loom, these are made by AMP for BMW.

AMP won't sell them to you, you have to get them from BMW, I don't know if the shell is available, but terminals/seals on wire tails are available from BMW dealers.

Although, I don't think you need bother with all that :huh:

If the fuel pump is an AMP Econoseal, you just need to source a female connector (from Polevolt), cut off whatever connector is on your loom and replace it with the Econoseal connector.

Thanks for that info Paul. Will i need a special tool / crimper to be able to terminate the wires into the new econoseal connector?

Phil

Nope, nothing too special (Econoseal connectors are also used on NAS lights)

Before I got a crimp tool more suited to small crimp terminals, I used crimpers like these to make up my NAS lamp adaptor looms, with no problems -

TT70-400.jpg

Thats cool - i already have some of those.

I take it the new connector will go onto where the TD5 type connector is on my harness, ie the 2nd connector in my pics?

Phil

Yes, that's the one shown in RAVE as the tank connector.

I think that the other connector (the Grey one in your first picture), is for the sensor in the water filter -

post-148-128207535756_thumb.jpg

I think that the other connector (the Grey one in your first picture), is for the sensor in the water filter -

Yep. That makes sense as the wire colours tally up with what i found. Just didnt realize that any defenders had a water filter?

Phil

Yep. That makes sense as the wire colours tally up with what i found. Just didnt realize that any defenders had a water filter?

Phil

some 300Tdi & a lot of Td5's do, it's fitted to the bottom of the fuel sedimentor in the right rear wheel arch.

Paul. Would you happen to have a diagram showing what wire goes where when i get the econoseal connector?

Thanks

Phil

Here you go -

post-148-128207742717_thumb.jpg

That shows the P38 Diesel connector C0204 and the Petrol connector C0205

You have the C0204 type of connector, here's how it's wired on a P38 -

post-148-128207807006_thumb.jpg

If you wire the Econoseal connector as per C0204, with reference to the P38 diagram (above) and the Defender diagram, you should be OK :unsure:

The circuits should be -

• Fuel Pump Live = Pin 4
  • Fuel Pump Earth = Pin 3
  • Sender Live = Pin 1
  • Sender Earth = Pin 2

which, on the defender translates to

• Pin 4 - White/Purple Trace
  • Pin 3 - Black
  • Pin 1 - Green/Black Trace
  • Pin 2 - Slate(Grey)/Black Trace

Don't take my word for it, please check and make sure I've interpreted it correctly.

Come on ralph. Why would i need that on my V8 wink.gif Nah its for my new fuel pump connector mate..

But you can still end up with water in petrol or moisture in the tank, but it's not as critical on a petrol engine, good to see your progressing.