Trailer carrying capacity.

kingdong2

Hi guys

i am in the process of having a concrete sectional garage built and will soon want to buy a car transporter trailer to tow with my disco 2 td5 auto and the heavyest thing i will be carrying on the trailer will be a disco 1 ( passed my test in 1980 ) i know the disco 2 is well capeble of towing 3.5kgs but want to know will a 2.7kg or a 3.0kg trailer carry a disco 1 as there seems to be more of them about and in some cases cheeper.

graham

03 d2 td5 auto e.s.

it would be better to go for the full 3500kg trailer.

what is the D1's unladen weight [empty vehicle -- no cargo or passengers] ?

that will determine whether to chose a 2750kg or 3500kg trailer these weights will included the trailer itself, otherwise you'll be over the towing weight of the tow vehicle

I've carried a few on my trailer plated to 2.5tonne gross, 2.0 nett. But if you can get bigger go for it :)

I had to go for a low loader for my previous car hence not having a 3.5.... Which i need now :(

G

Hi guysi am in the process of having a concrete sectional garage built and will soon want to buy a car transporter trailer to tow with my disco 2 td5 auto and the heavyest thing i will be carrying on the trailer will be a disco 1 ( passed my test in 1980 ) i know the disco 2 is well capeble of towing 3.5kgs but want to know will a 2.7kg or a 3.0kg trailer carry a disco 1 as there seems to be more of them about and in some cases cheeper.graham_______________________03 d2 td5 auto e.s.

I'm sure a disco weighs more than that :P

I think if I wanted a trailer I would want one rated for more than I was planning to carry.

The unladen weight of a disco 1 is around 2100kgs which is about the capacity of a 2600kg trailer, so not much to spare there.

If your disco has a roll cage and winches you will soon be up to needing a 3000kg trailer.

There are other factors to consider apart from weight: number of axles, flatbed or sides, tilting body or ramps, length of loadspace etc.