boiled battery

trogers

Hi all

I took my disco for a run on sunday and the battery boiled.

I let it cool and refilled it and put it on trickle charge .

It now reads 13.68 volts disconnected.

I take it its nackered.

The alteranor and battery are only 16 months old.

I am getting 14.6ish volts when ticking over across battery terminals.

Is there a seperate voltage regulator or is it in the alternator.

Has anyone got any ideas b4 I go and buy a new battery and alternator.

Thanks in advance.

Well it bodes well that your battery still holds charge though you won’t know the health of the battery until it has load applied to it.

I would say your alternator sounds fine it should be kicking out that sort of volts to charge.

I would use it but keep an eye on it, if you’re concerned pop to your local garage or battery emporium and ask if they can check your battery under load.

The question is why it boiled dry?

Was there a short somewhere?

have you got the correct battery on there??

i would say DO NOT DRIVE it if the battery has boiled dry, as you run the risk of it exploding....safest bet is to pop the alternator off and take it to somwhere that can test them properly, rather than just with a multimeter.

if it's boiled then it's usually because of overcharging. have the sides of the battery swelled at all?

Nothing happens for no reason, so until you know what it was I'd be very careful, an exploded battery is not funny.

There could be a fault with the battery (if there wasn't before there likely will be now). The alternator could have over-charged for a number of reasons, duff regulator, dodgy battery connections, dodgy battery.

A proper battery suppliers (Barden Batteries are my local ones) should be able to test it for you, although I suspect the official answer will be to buy a new one.

Cheers for the replies.

Took the battery to my local battery palace and had it load tested and guess what its OK.

Probably got away with it because it is a refillable one and not a maintenance free one,(ie not sealed.)

The suppliers of the alternator reckon the diode pack is us and a new one is on the way.

Will fit tommorrow and let you know the result.

Thanks again