Sound proofing material...

Maverik

Juts put Van sides on my 90 and it thrumbs rather loudly, now I've been involved with doing some sound attenuation on ship's engine rooms etc. and what they use is a "viscoelastic" material (glue) and then stick a thin steel plate to it, the added mass changes the resonant frequency of the panel - usually bumps the frequency up, as lower frequency noise is the stuff that carries a long way.

Now I was wondering has anyone done anything similar before on Land rovers?? There seems to be a plathora of car sound proofing material, but does any of it actually work?

Cheers

Mav

Used EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) on the floor of the Disco, 10mm thick, you can get thicker, stick it down with a good contact adhesive, i found it works really well and is very hard wearing as well :D About 20 beer tokens for a 6'x4' sheet.

How well does that hold up to water?

How well does that hold up to water?

Very well, it does not absorb anything, we use in in the horse areas on the lorries both on the walls and the floors, and takes a great amount of abuse from their shoes and their "ablutions", horse urine having a very strong content of Ammonia :lol:

EVA

Very well, it does not absorb anything, we use in in the horse areas on the lorries both on the walls and the floors, and takes a great amount of abuse from their shoes and their "ablutions", horse urine having a very strong content of Ammonia :lol:

EVA

Hmmm not all horses actually, I have some of the jigzaw matt down in my wee workshop, it was the stuff that was salvaged from the back of my flatmates horse truck after her welshy decided to do some re-modeling of her conpartment.

I did remove a similar adehesive matting from the insode of the roof, as it was put on my a 3 year old and water used to get trapped behind it, not a nice smell.

Hmmm not all horses actually, I have some of the jigzaw matt down in my wee workshop, it was the stuff that was salvaged from the back of my flatmates horse truck after her welshy decided to do some re-modeling of her conpartment.

I did remove a similar adehesive matting from the insode of the roof, as it was put on my a 3 year old and water used to get trapped behind it, not a nice smell.

Obviously wasn't put on with a good quality contact adhesive, we use Alpha 19/22 spray able, and then seal round the edges with a good polyurethane sealer, sticks like s**t to a blanket, right PIA to get of if you put it in the wrong position :( .Never had an issue and been brilliant on the floor of the disco, just get the jet wash in there and blast it clean.

You say "water trapped behind it" so as said the EVA didn't absorb it! :D

EVA

Hmm, might be useful to use as floor matting in my rangie then. I threw out the OEM matting because it soaked up water like a sponge, but I wouldn't say no against a bit of extra noise dampening. There's just a rubber mat in there now.

Hmm, might be useful to use as floor matting in my rangie then. I threw out the OEM matting because it soaked up water like a sponge, but I wouldn't say no against a bit of extra noise dampening. There's just a rubber mat in there now.

I have it on the boot floor of the disco works a treat! :D