Series gearbox interchangability

Gazzar

I've a '56 series 1 in the workshop at the moment with a dead gearbox.

It only has reverse. So it is the mainshaft or layshaft causing trouble.

So it has to be replaced or repaired.

I've a number of series 3 gearboxes about the place, of questionable quality, and some series 2(a) boxes. As the "original" series 1 box was a factory rebuild already originality isn't an issue. I want to pick a box to rebuild and stick back in the Series 1.

So, what is the best course of action, cost/availability/strength? Can I put a series 1 bellhousing and release bearing onto a series 3 box? It is going to be behind a 2286 petrol.

Can I put series 3 innards in a series 1 box?

G.

from what I understand series 1+2 box internals are the same,early 2a is different. then late 2a and 3 are the same (fully synchro) however there are variations on ratios which can be found easily on the internet. i dont know about the bell housing compatibility. all the series boxes mount and bolt in in the same way if you do a complete swap

from what I understand series 1+2 box internals are the same,early 2a is different. then late 2a and 3 are the same (fully synchro) however there are variations on ratios which can be found easily on the internet. i dont know about the bell housing compatibility. all the series boxes mount and bolt in in the same way if you do a complete swap

Thanks!

It's getting the clutch sorted, that's the trick, as the series 1 has no hydraulics (yay) I've to ensure that's right. I think I@ll just start stripping the gearbox and see what I see!

GH.

The IIA internals will fit into a Series I provided its the early layshaft with the smaller front brg (on layshaft) , if its the later IIA with a bigger front LS brg you may be able to use the IIA bellhousing and redrill to suit the engine - not sure if the starter is in the same place - iirc it is.

The IIA is the same clutch release system as the SerI just with an ext slave cyl on a crank.

The SIII internals/bell hsg will not fit into a SerI box afaik.

Post up some pics of the damage when you have it apart , I may have the bits you need..

Of course you could just put the entire SerIII box in and convert to hyd clutch with a series pedal box

cheers

Steveb