1993 RR 3.9 Auto Spec

Dunc

Hi everyone,

Anyone able to give me a spec sheet or can point me in the right direction of one please?

I've been 'made aware' of a 1993 3.9 V8 auto Vogue on a 'K' plate which may be available at the right money. Unfortunately it's a bit of a distance from me so i need to do my homework before i take a day off work (unpaid) to go and see it.

What i want to find out is what was standard spec and what was optional before i go.

I've had pretty much one of everything ever made by L/R so i know what i'm looking at mechanically (more or less) but what i'm after is info on the spec.

I know this request sounds strange, but just go along with me it's easier! ;)

'K' plate was pre-air suspension wasn't it? I think that came in on about an 'L' when the 4.2 LSE appeared. Y/N?

Was air-con standard at this point?

Does the 4-sp auto have a 'sport' mode for quicker kickdown or were they the same as the older ones?

Electric everything by the time this came along i think, eg seats/windows but are there any other gubbins i should be aware of?

Many thanks in advance for any help or info you can help provide. :)

I have a 1993 manual 5 speed RRC.

It was originally fitted with air suspension from new

NO air con fitted

Velour upholstery with heated front seats but not electrically operated - leather seats might well be electric as standard

ABS

Cruise control (optional extra i believe)

Remote central locking/alarm

Sub woofwer rear speaker in luggage compartment

Auto dipping rear mirror with built in map lights

Thanks very much Steve.

Was the auto-dipping mirror a standard thing by then? I never even thought of them!

I've now got my fingers crossed it's got the sub fitted, that would be fantastic. :D

Further investigation has revealed that the vehicle in question is an SE spec if that makes any difference.

It's got leather, no idea if they're heated.

Thanks again.

Oh, and does your air suspension still work Steve?

I've heard all the horror stories, but apparently the kit is less than £100 to convert it to normal springs, so that's worst case scenario i guess.

And RRR yield thus;

In 1990, Land Rover gave details for the new model to be introduced in 1991:

Other improvements include:-

* Cruise control as standard on all Vogue SE automatic models.

* Glass sunroof as standard on Vogue SE, emphasising a feeling of spaciousness and also providing increased headroom.

* New fuel system, including a larger 18 gallon (81.8 litre) polyurethane tank which increases usable capacity (14 per cent on petrol/10 per cent on diesel).

* Automatic anti-dazzle mirror, activated by light sensors on Vogue SE models.

* Heated front door locks on all models.

* Improved sound insulation.

* Recessed rear seat belt floor anchorage points.

* New speakers with improved bass response.

* Four new exterior body colours.

Unfortunately they then only give two other updates, one for the Brooklands and one for the final special edition to mark the end of the RRC.

One thing i'm intrigued by is when air suspension appeared.

The picture i've been sent by the dealer deffo looks like either the springs are all shagged or it's on air because it's very low in a boy-racer stylee!

post-619-048084000 1286015898_thumb.jpg

looks nice, according to microcat, it was registered with a private plate, which now resides on a 2009 tdv8 rr vogue se - nice to see the original owner has stuck with the brand :)

i would say from the rrr, it will have the air suspension on it, and i suspect that it may well have been looked after by it's previous owners

parts lookup program used by dealers to find part numbers. you input your chassis number (or reg) and it lists the parts for that particular model. the reg on the photo didn't work, so i used the lookup we have @ work, which gave the chassis number, and then the microcat came up trumps with the original reg number :)

parts lookup program used by dealers to find part numbers. you input your chassis number (or reg) and it lists the parts for that particular model. the reg on the photo didn't work, so i used the lookup we have @ work, which gave the chassis number, and then the microcat came up trumps with the original reg number :)

If you fancy putting that chassis number on pm to me so i can use it to find the original spec i'd be grateful.

EAS was around for 2 years at least before the soft dash arrived, so '92 I think. The LSE was due to be released nealry a year beofore it made it into the showrooms.

SE stands for special equipment, a lot of stuff could be ordered specially so you often find different combinations of equipement.

It's rare to find electric seats in cloth, I was told that many factory cars had them though. All leather seats are electric and from '92 were memory seats/mirrors. For heaven's sake check it works 100% as a second hand ECU could set you back £150. I bought a whole car just for the seat ECU.

BTW a sunroof lowers the lining by over an inch compared to no sunroof at all.

4Later cars were lowered to improve handling, not sure by how much. If you do have to replace the EAS then you need 4 springs, 3 spring seats and 4 new dampers, the EAS ones are different to coil sprung dampers and may not be up to it. The rest of it you can just unplug and sell.

I like EAS, but I did spend a lot on rebuilding mine. It handles well though.

EAS was around for 2 years at least before the soft dash arrived, so '92 I think. The LSE was due to be released nealry a year beofore it made it into the showrooms.

SE stands for special equipment, a lot of stuff could be ordered specially so you often find different combinations of equipement.

It's rare to find electric seats in cloth, I was told that many factory cars had them though. All leather seats are electric and from '92 were memory seats/mirrors. For heaven's sake check it works 100% as a second hand ECU could set you back £150. I bought a whole car just for the seat ECU.

BTW a sunroof lowers the lining by over an inch compared to no sunroof at all.

4Later cars were lowered to improve handling, not sure by how much. If you do have to replace the EAS then you need 4 springs, 3 spring seats and 4 new dampers, the EAS ones are different to coil sprung dampers and may not be up to it. The rest of it you can just unplug and sell.

I like EAS, but I did spend a lot on rebuilding mine. It handles well though.

Ah, that would explain my understanding of the correlation between the airrival of air and the LSE.

Many thanks, great info.

p.s. I also love air suspension, when it's working right it's simply a whole new driving experience.

I swapped my airbags with Arnott GIII progressive springs fomr the good old US of A. They weren't cheap but made a big difference. Not only do I get an extra 3" of travel at the back but in low profile the car stiffens up. It's about the best handling RRC I've driven though fitting H/D shocks makes it very crashy, the original shocks were valved differently to the coil sprung cars.

It's also a brilliant towcar, fuel consumption aside.

Anyhoo, the airsprings cost a few hundred quid, then i bought Rovacom to sort out any problems. I had a brand new pump too but it ended up on my sister's car, hers is standard other than Monroe shocks which work very well.

If it helps, my late 'J' plate 3.9 Vogue SE Auto had:

Coil Springs

Air con

Leather upholstery with electric seats and seat/mirror memory

Electric mirrors

Electric Windows

Electric sunroof - this reduced headroom to the point my head rubbed on the headlining

Auto dipping rear view mirror

Uprated sound system with sub - it was sh@~ so don't get excited

Heated door locks, mirrors and windscreen washers

Cruise control

ABS

It also had remote central locking, but I think this was a later add-on

Mine had poly bushes all round and uprated standard length shocks, it handled superbly, comparible to my Td5 Disco with ACE. Obviously then I lifted it by 7" and ruined it :rolleyes:

7"? Bloody hell...

If i manage to get the one i'm after it will be remaining close to standard (famous last words) and a daily drive.

Biggest mod i'll do will be LPG to make it perfectly cheap to run.

The dealer it's at is not the easiest to deal with, it's like an old farmer who's got something you want but doesn't give a sh*t if he sells it or not...

Well, all by-the-by now.

After my latest spell on the phone with the dealer it transpired he took a deposit some time ago and is waiting for the prospective buyer to collect. I guess i was his back up plan.

My spidersense was tingling already, i should have listened to it and just left it alone all along.

Thanks for the info anyway. Much obliged.