Viscus / Electric fan question

SeanDisco

Hi,

I've just removed the Viscus fan on my v8 disco and wired the standard electric fans up to a switch in the cab.

Are the standard fans enough if always running to cool the engine or will i need to get after market fans to stick to the back of the radiator?

Cheers,

Sean

Hi,

I've just removed the Viscus fan on my v8 disco and wired the standard electric fans up to a switch in the cab.

Are the standard fans enough if always running to cool the engine or will i need to get after market fans to stick to the back of the radiator?

Cheers,

Sean

if by standard you mean the aircon ones on front? then i would probably say "no" not up to the job as esp in the summer.

I guess landrover put them on the front to aid the main viscous unit not to take over from it...

The aircon fans are there to give a little extra help when the aircon is having to suck all the hotness out of the cabin and dump it to air, they're not designed to cool the engine as well all by themselves.

I'm sure some people have done it and if everything's in good nick / not working too hard they may just manage, but I wouldn't stake my engine on it.

Take a tape measure to the scrappy and get a nice big twin fan setup from something.

Cheers for the replys will do that :)

Seab

I have used a 2 speed fan from a Volvo 92 on 740/960 (from breakers) mounted in front of the engine to replace the viscous. This fan is designed to cool the engine not just the a/c. Note that I have 300tdi not V8 but the viscous fans look about the same size...just turn in opposite directions.

The Volvo fan pulls 8 amps in low and about 14 in high. I use the Volvo relay to switch it with an X-fan switch.