300 tdi alternator diode???

I'm not sure which diode you are referring to. I have both a Defender (200TDi) and Disco (300Tdi) and there are only three connections to the alternator in each case - (1) 12v to battery/starter motor (Out), (2) Dash Warning Lamp (Out) and (3) RPM pulses to tacho (if used).

There is a rectifier block internal to the alternator, but nothing external that I can think of.

Cheers

Peter

hi

thanks for replying

on the old engine there was one thick one thin wire, sorted the thick one but when i connect the thin one to the original wire i get a whistling sound ( high pitched)but the charge light does go out. my brother who wired it all for me said i need a diode?? on the diagram there an alternator then wire then a diode then more wire?? i thought it would be part of the alternator but he seems to think it could be seperate??

im no electrickery expert as you can prob tell....

I guess you mean "Diode (G182)" (bottom centre,) it will be there in order to block any reverse current flow when the ignition is off.

I can't tell you where it would be physically, I would have assumed that it's built-in on some alternators, not easy to tell though, but without that wire connected to the alternator your battery will not charge.

The "whistling" noise from the alternator could be due to heavy loading if the battery is badly discharged, I would suggest you put a voltmeter on the battery to check that it's not overcharging.

post-13593-033814500 1286891095_thumb.gif

hi

thanks for replying

on the old engine there was one thick one thin wire, sorted the thick one but when i connect the thin one to the original wire i get a whistling sound ( high pitched)but the charge light does go out. my brother who wired it all for me said i need a diode?? on the diagram there an alternator then wire then a diode then more wire?? i thought it would be part of the alternator but he seems to think it could be seperate??

im no electrickery expert as you can prob tell....

IIRC, that diode plus others are inside the main dash area wiring loom, not accessible unless you strip the dash & loom from the vehicle.