Axle and Diff type. Diff Protection? Which one?

i have a 110 as per my sig at the bottom? I've been seeing diff protection that only fits X and doesn't fit Y.

What type of Axle do i have? Salisbury axle by any chance ? Can you tell me the different types of axle and what this means to me?

Thanks

99% chance yours will have a Rover front & Salisbury rear unless it's quite new.

Diff_Diffs.jpg

TBH I'm not sure I'd bother with a diff guard on the Salisbury unless you're planning on reversing into something at 30mph, the diff pan is unboltable so not such a pain as dinging a Rover casing.

OK thanks.

I was thinking i'd need a BA121 for the front and a BA3129 for the rear.

Should i be worried on my trip that my rear is unprotected :lol:.....or should i just go with front diff and stearing protection?

I think QT make the only fully wrap around diff guard for the Salisbury axle (although there may now be others)- the cheaper ones only bolt onto the rear of the diff casing.

As stated above that's no use unless you do alot of driving around in reverse.

I'd just get a pair of QT guards- not universally popular but mine have been strong and reliable. Just make sure you clean out the mud and carp that accumulates between the guard and the axle casing.

I wouldn't fit anything, since you're adding weight and losing ground clearance, but then I'm always wrong :P

The salisbury is a massive cast iron lump, if you think adding a bit of bent tin to the front is going to do anything useful then go for it. The rear pan can be beefed by just adding a bit of bent flat bar up the crown wheel part, either bolt-on or welded to the cover.

A bit of healthy debate. I'm going to lie on my back under it (normal position) and see if i can decide myself based on all your advice. Weight, good point....money another...busting it in the middle of nowhere....another consideration. hmmm ???

I don't know about the salisbury guard but the QT style rover rear diff guard also offers some protection to the axle UJ with a sort of "slider" built into it's nose. Having pulled a clamp-on guard off I don't much like them, but they are one of those things that everyone has an opinion about and I don't think there is a definitive "correct" answer.

Take a look at the Dana60 heavy diff covers, that's what you'd use on the back. I put a sewer-pipe cap on the front but did a complete strip of the factory cover in the process and it's now about 8mm thick all the way from the housing around. A rear pinion guard on the other hand is always a reasonable thing to put on, I have yet to twist up a propshaft with a hit, but it happens.