300Tdi Alarm problems driving me mad

CBolton

Hi all need some help and suggestions, the alarm on my 300Tdi Disco is driving me insane !

I have done lots of searches on the net but most problems seem to be related to the spider and immobiliser problems.

Once unlocked the car always starts and the immobiliser never kicks in when not wanted, the problems comes on locking the car, its like playing russian roulette every time I try to lock the car.....

The car will always lock, all 5 doors, however the car will do one of the following:

-Indicators flash three times and stays armed till unlocked

-The indicators don't flash but the car stays locked and armed

-The indicators flash three times then the alarm triggers immediately

-the indicators don't flash but the alram triggers after a few seconds

Currently I have thre interior sensors unplugged, thr bonnet sensor unplugged and the siren unplugged

It doesn't matter if I lock using the 2 button fob or use the key, I have cleaned up all the door light on sensor things, and tested them all with the interior light to make sure they aren't stuck open

the one thing that doesn't work is the alarm led in the dash, assume a blown led

ANY suggestions would be welcome, is it possible to swap out the alarm module in case its knackered ?? I don't even know where it is.....so any help welcome

thanks all

Currently I have thre interior sensors unplugged, thr bonnet sensor unplugged and the siren unplugged

It doesn't matter if I lock using the 2 button fob or use the key, I have cleaned up all the door light on sensor things, and tested them all with the interior light to make sure they aren't stuck open

the one thing that doesn't work is the alarm led in the dash, assume a blown led

Led's don't "Blow" in the sense that bulbs do. Unless your vehicle has suffered a serious electrical incident, I'd be surprised if the Led itself was actually damaged. A typical red LED is good for being on continuously 100 000 hours or more.

I'd also expect the alarm to sound when setting the alarm if the bonnet or a door is open, so given the number of things you've currently got unplugged... The alarm sounder should have it's own internal battery, which will cause it to sound if unplugged from the alarm ECU when the alarm is set, or the vehicle battery disconnected, but I would expect the batteries in it to be pretty much worn out by now.

The doors locked/unlocked and bonnet open/closed is detected by switches - check these and their connections.

"The indicators don't flash but the car stays locked and armed"

That happens if the fob battery requires replacing, as stated in the owners handbook.

Do you still have to re-mobilise the engine by placing the fob near the ignition switch?

right to reply to some things.......both fob batteries have been replaced, doesn't matter which fob I use.

will have to get the dash out to check the alarm light...just know its never lit since i have had the disco even if it locks correctly.

the siren is unplugged purely as it so damn lound and with it triggering so often on locking the car I unplugged it to save mine and my neighbours hearing.

the bonnet close switch is unplugged to remove it from the problem....or will that cause a problem ? this morning it locked and armed (3 flashes) with it unplugged, next time I lock it it probably won't do the same thing !!! :angry:

I have already cleaned all the door switches and tested them with the interior light on/off

If I leave the bonnet open, I get two chirps from the siren, and a solid red LED on the dash. Interestingly, I didn't get any flashes from the indicators though.

Yes, leaving the bonnet disconnected altogether should have the same effect! Why have you disconnected it?

Leaving the siren disconnected may upset the Alarm ECU and cause it to behave differently if it can't find it, but I can't confirm this.

'Normal' is 3 indicators from the winkers and after a couple of seconds the red LED flashes manically for a bit, then settles to a slow flash.

Of course, all Discoverys are each a little bit different.....

Kev