Defender 90 TD5 Rear Brakes

Vehicle is a Defender 90 TD5 (2003), with disc brakes all round but without ABS.

The possible problem (as I've been told it is normal), is that I am unable to get the rear brakes to lockup the wheels when driving normally and breaking hard, even on very slippery surfaces.

I have had the brakes tested on a VOSA brake testing rolling road with the rear prop disconnected and got the results as follows:

Max Force

Front N/S 336 kgf

Front O/S 288 kgf

Rear N/S 143 kgf

Rear O/S 141 kgf

The brake tester center told me that this would be a FAIL for an MOT if the vehicle was tested that way (The Defender is tested using a footwell meter normally and passes).

I know the front brakes should by design lock up before the rears for safety, but I am unable to get the rears to lock up at all, even on wet grass when they should lock up very easily (I would think).

The pads seem fine (plenty thickness left), and the rear calipers also seem fine - pistons move freely in and out. I think the discs are OK too.

Can anyone give any advice on this.

Thanks in advance

Marcus

They are very consistent left to right at the rear, otherwise you might suspect seized pistons - unless you have several. BTW no grease seals leaking onto rear discs? Maybe discs and pads are glazed, or maybe you have servo or vacuum pump weakness. Do the brakes generally seem effective?

Nigel

Thanks for the replies so far.

In answer to the questions, yes the brakes seem very effective, but that is mainly due to the front brakes - they seem really good, it is just the back brakes that seem very poor.

The flexible brake hoses were changed / fitted about a year ago with Goodridge braided hoses and they still look fine - no damage or bulging when an assistant presses the pedal.

The pads and calipers look clean, no fluid leaks there and the resevoir level is exactly at the max mark so has not lost any fluid since filled (when the hoses were fitted).

The glazing of pads / discs is not something I have considered - is there a way of identifying that visually?