PTO from Transfer Box - Problem ........

Hello all

I think I may have caused myself a major headache ......... hopefully one of you more knowledgeable huys can help or give me guidence.

The PTO drives a mechanical front bumper mounted winch on my 93 110 Defender 200tdi

When I was under the van changing the power steering pump and box, I noticed the carrier bearings on the PTO prop shaft were very worn. Because of this I decided to remove the entire PTO prop and get it reconditioned with new carriers etc..

When removing the prop, I started at the front and worked my way backwards, removing the mounting brackets along the way and undoing the grub screws securing the shafts at each junction. When I got to the last union at the output shaft on the transfer box I found I could not free the prop from the shaft. No mater how much tapping I did, it would not budge.

I knew that the output shaft seal wanted changing and so decided to try a little heat on the prop union. Didnt get it glowing red or anything, but it was hot enough to deform the seal - no problems as it is getting replaced - but, as I tapped the prop to free it from the shaft, it just pulled the shaft straight out of the transfer box.

Now, here is where I could do with some advice please ........... am I likely to have caused any damage, or is it just a case of aligning back up the shaft with the woodruff key and tapping it back in, or is it a major strip down job ?

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Westy

Hi Westy

First of all what type of PTO do you have, as there are more than Superwinch on the market. And there are different types of Superwinch as well.

Send me a mail and I will send you a PDF of a different type of PTO than John referred to. (Maybe I could do it here but I don't know how!!!!)

But I would go for a strip down to see if you might have damaged something else. Normally they are not too bad to take apart.

Best Regards

Lars

www.koenigwinches.dk

lars@koenigwinches.dk

Hi Westy

First of all what type of PTO do you have, as there are more than Superwinch on the market. And there are different types of Superwinch as well.

Send me a mail and I will send you a PDF of a different type of PTO than John referred to. (Maybe I could do it here but I don't know how!!!!)

But I would go for a strip down to see if you might have damaged something else. Normally they are not too bad to take apart.

Best Regards

Lars

www.koenigwinches.dk

lars@koenigwinches.dk

Hi Lars

I have been and had a look on your web site - very good kit - but I cannot find any diagrams of where the actual drive is taken from the Landrover from the Transfer Box.

I will send you an email so you have my address, if you can help me with any diagrams that would be great.

Cheers

Westy