Buying a Disco-what mileage is ok ?

sjb

Hi, Currently driving a 'L' reg 300tdi with 285,000 miles on the clock and still going strong. Body was pretty rotten when i bought it but mechanically its solid as a rock! IMHO Look for service history and recipts for any other parts fitted.

HTH

Bri

I've been told that the body will rot away long before the engine will give up. My 300tdi Auto has done 180,000 and no problems to report. Like already said check service history. to make sure everything is in order.

Yeah,I know they I used to own an old Rangie classic and that had to have some welding.

Not to sure where to look for rot on a Disco though.

Re- 200/300

I'm sure someone better equipped will offer the right advice, but in my opinion, I went for the 200, as I wanted an expedition vehicle I could fix in the field.

The selling points for me were :

1. less electrical gubbins

2. Better auxilliary belt layout, not prone to the probs of the tensioner issues on a single belt

3. Preferred the lt77 box over the R380 (military ordered the lt77 on their discos i believe)

There are several other small factors, and each have pros, and cons, it depends how much self service you can do, and what you want the truck for.

mechanical side is hardly an issue, they will handle 250,000 quite regularly , the BIG problem is body rot, boot floor , sills, rear body mounts, under front wings at scuttle ends ,bottom of all door posts, front inner wings,seatbelt mounts and so it goes on . I am just scrapping a 97 all the mech side good as , the body wasnt worth thinking about when you removed the outer panels etc. A lot of people are riding around in a metal cobweb without realising it.