The Clubman Challenge Round 4

Matt BADLRC

winchman_challenge.jpg

Round 4 of The Clubman Challenge is just around the corner and takes place at Buildwas near Ironbridge on 21th November 2010 if you havent already entered this event please let us know ASAP entry forms and details can be found on the event website www.clubmanchallenge.co.uk A up to date entry list will be online shortly.

We look forward to seeing you all again for the last event of the year :)

winchman_challenge.jpg

Round 4 of The Clubman Challenge is just around the corner and takes place at Buildwas near Ironbridge on 21th November 2010 if you havent already entered this event please let us know ASAP entry forms and details can be found on the event website www.clubmanchallenge.co.uk A up to date entry list will be online shortly.

We look forward to seeing you all again for the last event of the year :)

This link should work sorry http://www.clubmanchallenge.co.uk

It's consistantly passed every event it's ever been to over the years so what's changed John ????

This is the report done by Trevor Shiret Event Scrutineer and sent to me by Matt

Event:- Round 3 The clubman Challenge Mow Cop 24th October 2010

Competitor:- John Sales

Vehicle:- Rear-engined Challenge Special

The vehicle concerned has been well designed, is well built & maintained.

However that said, falls short of the technical requirments in 3 areas; these

corcerns has been brought to the competitors attention on previous occasions.

* Centre winch mounted inside the crew compartment with no ridged

guarding to isotate / protect hazards that this setup

may introduce.

* Insufficient wheel covering on all wheels

* Rear engine with no guarding of drive belt & pullys. This is made

more dangerous by the fact that recovery equipment is stored directly

above the exposed moving partsof the engine, meaning that the

winch-man is required to work in close proximity to moving parts during

competition.

Competitors Vehicles J

All vehicles Must

5.2.1:- Be fitted with bodywork including a driver compartment isolated from

(large list of moving parts)Exposed transmissions to be guarded so as

to prevent their being a hazard.A winch is a transmission system in its own

right.

5.2.2:- Be equipped with a bonnet or casing of metal or solid flame resistant

materialcovering and surrounding the main engine structure

The above regulation is confused by

Cross Country Events P

56.2:- Unless rear-engined,vehicles must have a bonnet or metal casing or

solid flame resistant material covering or surrounding the main engine

structure.Although this regulation obviosly removes the requirment for

flame resistant material it can not remove the need for basic guarding of

moving parts

5.2.4:- Not have the space normally occupied by passengers encroached

upon. The winch installation is an encroachment

5.2.6:-Be equipped on all wheels with mudguards which present no sharp

edges and cover the complete wheel around an arc of 120degrees.All 4 wheels only

covered through an arc of approximatly 90 degrees

Transmission

5.11.1. Have the transmission outside the driver/passenger compartment,

beneath the floor or secured in casings of solid material.A winch

is a transmission system in its own right,but this regulation introduces the

option of guarding. Guarding could be achieved using a wire mest cover

provided the mesh was of sufficient strength. ie.when held up by one corner

able to support its own weight with out deforming or losing its shape(chicken

mesh would not be suitableThe competitor was again made aware of my reservations regarding the

vehicle and of disappointment, that simple inexpensive measures to make

improvements had not been adopted.

In order to escalate the issue and hopefully focus the competitors attention on

the improvements required,a decision to refer the matter to the Clerk of the

Couse was made.The competitor chose not to engage with the Clark of the

Course but instead left the site.

Trevor Shiret

Event scrutineer

MAS No.194910.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In answer

My motor as most of you will Know as passed MSA scrutineering for the passed 5 years.

It would appears this scrutineer is singing from a different hymn sheet to all the

other scrutineers.His interpritation of the rules seems to be unique, and the reason

I hadn't taken his advise the first time was that in between the Buxton and District

events, I had entered and passed scrutineering at at least 2 other MSA events without

even an advisory. I am disillusioned with it all.

well what a s}{itter bugger :lol::lol:

in my own opinion its very petty and a joke really, john has been at more events than most of us, and his truck was well proven and competing way before the buxton events were even a thought in a head ;)

why it failed scruiteneering at round 3 is crazy, considering his new perpose built xtc racer is set up much the same with regards to the center winch and mudguards..

but that has sailed through scruiteneering for that which is stricter, and involves actual speed, not a blancket speed limit of 15mph ! or in some cases 5mph.

his challenge motor has passed lots of msa events with no issues with other certified msa personal, so why not this time ??

its a shame to loose john from this series, as to us its not a competition, we dont take it seriously in any way, its just a playday to us with a twist, i go for the social side to it, not to pull up to world war three and meet my friend leaving at the gate because he has failed scruiteneering.

now what happens when more people get upset and decide not to bother again ? as there was a few unhappy people at the last event matt for one reason :(:(

yes trev is there to do a job, but he isnt there to upset people and wave a card in there face as thats plain rude.

now dont think im defending saley here because im not, im simply stating a valid point.

i might possably see you at the final round, or i might not as i havent decided yet

I find it all rather unbeliveable,and the lack on consistency between events and scrutineers is quite saddening, at the end of the day its a hobby, a bit of fun, a pastime, a social event...

Saley did the right thing when the TRAINEE scrutineer pushed the card in his face demonstrating that he was the scrutineer and his word is final, I think if he'd stayed or reacted then his action may have been disturbing as he was quite livid, and thats an understatement, so perhaps the wisest thing to do was to leave quickly...it put a dampener on the whole event without shadow of a doubt.

I have travelled Great Britian from top to bottom competing along side John, who has never had a refusal or a major advisory by ANY scrutineer MSA or not over a period of 4 or 5 years once sometimes twice a month, so find it difficult to believe the seriousness that was put on these matters, hell it is such a big scale event that it doesn't even warrant a chemical toilet.

Have these other Scrutineers failed in their attempts to interpret the rules or is Trevor "a bit off course", because somewhere along the line if Trevor is correct in his interpretation then is the standard of the other scrutineers a problem ??

Saley tries his utmost to be compliant as I do, and a lot of mates who compete do, and we discuss and interpret the Blue book as best as we can, but this throws us into doubt.

The engine cover at Mow Cop was a mistake and John awknoweges that,but even soits covered by waffle boards.

I now feel myself with a dilemma, to participate in a competition requires me to lose a days pay at a time and a half, a £50 entry fee, a good half of tank of diesel to get there and back, time loading and un-loading, time to and from event, preperation time, and plenty of time to keep the better half happy and sweet, the same applies for most co-drivers, this is also fully applicable to John (Saley) Sales, then to arrive in good time and spirits, then to get a rejection from an inconsistent scrutineer followed by a MSA scrutineers card thrust in your face, makes you wonder if the event was so attractive in the first place, after all it was one we doing for a laugh and to support our local club.

Barry Gee if he did the internet thing would also have quite a few comments I know.

I'll have a think a while about round 4 Matt, thanks, because I can ill afford to risk the outlay and will any of my mates be there if I do ??

Regards

Chris

Barrie Gee rang me earlier and asked if I would put on the forum that he would not be attending round 4 next Sunday in support of John and as a fully paid up member of BADLRC he would be making his feelings on the matter known at the next AGM,

please don't shoot the messenger........