Options for auto shifter location

not easy to relocate in a Defender cab, it needs to be in easy reach but keeping the centre seat will seriously reduce the available space, might be able to dash monut it alongside the steering column but it would need a bit of dash remodelling & made to measure cables to allow it to operation.

Out of interest which box are you putting in? as judging by your name your a lopper in which case i wouldnt put an auto box in.

Mounting wise you are only limited by the length of the selector cable, and finding somewhere strong enough to stop the body of it moving when you change gear.

I think there are a few examples in old posts. I have seen it (recently i think) mounted as per the manual box, however raised up about 12 inches in a sort of cubby box you can still get 3 in there, but its just a bit friendly

I beleive ashcrofts do a replacement tunnel-have a look on the site, however from memory it was very wide so your middle passenger would have no leg room

Out of interest which box are you putting in? as judging by your name your a lopper in which case i wouldnt put an auto box in.

Mounting wise you are only limited by the length of the selector cable, and finding somewhere strong enough to stop the body of it moving when you change gear.

I think there are a few examples in old posts. I have seen it (recently i think) mounted as per the manual box, however raised up about 12 inches in a sort of cubby box you can still get 3 in there, but its just a bit friendly

I beleive ashcrofts do a replacement tunnel-have a look on the site, however from memory it was very wide so your middle passenger would have no leg room

I have been searching the old posts, but only seen center seat area shifters. If you find a link to the post please let me know.

You are right I am a tree surgeon, but don't see why this should rule out an auto box. I don't actually do much off road work, but the 130 is damn handy when I do, but i do go in and out of London a fair bit.

I probably should have mentioned that there will be a 3.5 or 3.9 efi V8 on the other end :D

not easy to relocate in a Defender cab, it needs to be in easy reach but keeping the centre seat will seriously reduce the available space, might be able to dash monut it alongside the steering column but it would need a bit of dash remodelling & made to measure cables to allow it to operation.

Thanks Ralph.

I have been searching the old posts, but only seen center seat area shifters. If you find a link to the post please let me know.

You are right I am a tree surgeon, but don't see why this should rule out an auto box. I don't actually do much off road work, but the 130 is damn handy when I do, but i do go in and out of London a fair bit.

I probably should have mentioned that there will be a 3.5 or 3.9 efi V8 on the other end :D

I have seen them struggle-we did an auto conversion into a very heavy 110 and the HP22 just didnt like it. If you stick the uprated one in, I would have thought you shouldnt have an issue.

Dont get me wrong-they are very useful-particulaly towing a chipper with a load in the back, and with a v8 on the front-well i am very jealous!

I had a search and couldnt find much-even my old post didnt have anything as i asked a similar question.

It isnt an ex mil rapier converversion is it?

i wonder if its possible to mount a column shift lever - aka most american cars and minivans - so you lose zero centre tunnel or dash space? The shifter is just a cable isnt it? So cant see why a bespoke cable couldnt mean the shifter can be located anywhere you like.

i wonder if its possible to mount a column shift lever - aka most american cars and minivans - so you lose zero centre tunnel or dash space? The shifter is just a cable isnt it? So cant see why a bespoke cable couldnt mean the shifter can be located anywhere you like.

That would be ace if it can be done.

I will have to make some enquiries with my engineering friends.

it was no big deal to be honest, i just trimmed the auto selector out of the scrap disco, then made a spacer out of 3 mil plate that bolted onto the seat box and then bolted the changer on to it, i'll measure it for you when i get home, i was going to mount it flush but i had to space it out in order to change it to 1st if i needed to. i then cable tied the old rubber boot on top to keep it clean.

cheers Gary

hi, a better pic wont be much good as its well tucked in between the tunnel and the hand brake, ill do some measurements for you and get my mate who can actually draw on cad or what ever its called and send the drawing of the mount i made over,

im thinkin of recessing the gear changer into the actual tunnel for a tidier job, there is lots of room between the gearbox and the tunnel, and it would proably be a better job, but it would be further to reach to change gear. but as always theres always other wee jobs that need done and i havent got around to it yet.

cheers Gary