7 x 16 steels vs 8 x 16 steels advice

tort172

hi everyone need a bit of wheel advice, just bought some new tyres 265/75/16 insa special track to replace my quite frankly rubbish 33/ 12.50/15 khumo kl71s !!

what i need to know is can these new tyres go on a 8x16 or will they only go on a 7x16 only reason for asking is i built my disco for the wider tyres and extra width and dont want to lose the width if i can help it.

4" lift and narrow wheelbase spells trouble to me

any help would be greatly appreciated as my only other option is to buy some 7x16 and put some weld on bead locks to give the extra width

many thanks chris

hi everyone need a bit of wheel advice, just bought some new tyres 265/75/16 insa special track to replace my quite frankly rubbish 33/ 12.50/15 khumo kl71s !!

what i need to know is can these new tyres go on a 8x16 or will they only go on a 7x16 only reason for asking is i built my disco for the wider tyres and extra width and dont want to lose the width if i can help it.

4" lift and narrow wheelbase spells trouble to me

any help would be greatly appreciated as my only other option is to buy some 7x16 and put some weld on bead locks to give the extra width

many thanks chris

They will go on either quite happily probably better on the 8's.

Size Calculator Clicky

Have the Kuhmo's any life left in them, if so might be interested in them. ;)

Tony

thats all good you guys, i can order wheels now and not have to have half a ton of steel welded to the outer edge

as for the khumos there still fine but keeping them as the better half uses it through winter as snow and an mg dont work well for her or my wallet when it slides sideways into a kirb/ditch/lampost etc etc

but i personally would not recommend khumos for anything more than soft offroading or road use

i tried everything with them but nothing worked

tried a new p + p site in chelmsford a few months back now and on some of the tracks it just kept trying to slide sideways down banks no grip couldn get anywhere but my mates in same or less spec motors than me with either special tracks or macho greenways had no problems and with some drops in excess of 50foot either side i decided to go with the safer option of special track tyres over sliding sideways 50ft into a lake or tree

thanks again guys for ya help chris

Wide Tyres don't mean grip 265 should be fine I run insa turbos on My disco and go checking my animals across a maize stubble fine the 235's on the other truck are dare I say it even better, not so good for soil compaction but better for traction, it's a common misconseption that wide Tyres stop you getting stuck you just slide lol

If it's the track you are concerned about you need to measure the offset of both sets of wheels, that os the dimensin between the centre of the rim and the mounting flange.

the wider rim will give you a more stable tyre with better on-road handling and possibly less chance of the tyre rolling off the rim, the downside is the bead is half and inch more exposed to abrasion.

I think you are being rather harsh in your statements about the Kuhmo's. I have found the KL71 a great tyre, extremely well-mannered on the road and when towing and great offroad. On sand, clay or even rock climbing they just took it all and got me along! And the reassuring part is that they are virgin carcasses, rather than second life chancers. Tried the retread option and won't be going there again, despite the apparent 'savings' in price.

Yes the width becomes an issue: I prefer narrower tyres for that very reason but my motor had the arches done when I bought it so it was a toss up whether to go narrow rims and tyres with spacers (which I dislike immensely) or stick with similar to the 33/12.5x15 BFG MT's it came with.

I chose 285/75x16 Cooper Discoverer STT's on 10x16 with neg 32 offset black modulars, from JCS. Not had a chance to get in some proper mud yet but on rocks and sandy stuff they are excellent, and they look very nice as well, suiting the body modifications.