sticking starter motor

Went to start my 110 last night, cranked it, battery was a bit low so needed jumping. tured the key back to 0 to stop cranking, and it carried on. turned it on and off again still cranking, battery master switch killed it. turned it back on, crank away. stopped after a couple of off/on switches.

i've heard of them sticking off but not on?

how can i stop it cranking when the engine has started if it does it again? will this damage the starter?

Can you check the connections to the solenoid?, as one of them-the top one may have come lose and could possibly be touching the lower terminal and causing it to activate the solenoid even if the key switch is'nt activating it-just wiggle the thick battery cable that attaches to the top connection and see if it's lose as such, Other than that I would suspect a dodgy solenoid, As that's what activates the starter motor

HTH

John

Well i think i have a shoort.

Went to have a look earlier, went t start it, and nothing happened. slowly started chugging away then sort of found more power and sped up and started. went to wiggle the wires on the back, and burnt me finger! our came my infrared thermometer, highest reading i could get was about 50c. battery to master switch cable was 120c :ph34r::o

after i killed the engine, the starter was still chugging away, wiggling the wires did change the frequency of chugging, so i guess i should properly check the cables when i can.

Actually thinking about it, it all started after i replaced the battery, think i tugged the wire a bit, so may have pulled something into contact with something that shouldnt be in contact?

loose wire caused short circuit, lots of smoke and heat. you can see the rear of the solenoid has burnt out.

replacement looks easy enough, but will the actual starter motor still work too? or has this likely to be burnt out too?

065071008cb28a9385185a3bbed54282f2988a8fc75714ebedb34d1ef9a09582104e8f8b.jpg

514172550de009bb7b8666d1a2242790097fa9d23e9a104ba526b26d80e91e2aca8a912e.jpg

If the starter was engaged while driving, due to the gearing ratio between the flywheel ring gear and the starter pinion, the engine would be driving the starter motor at very high revs. This can cause the commutator to "throw the solder" due to centrifugal force plus heat created. Look inside the motor for a ring of "silver" dust.