something is broken... no idea what!

Right, a bit complicated, but please read as no one i know, even the guys who should (you know who you are :P ) has no idea...

car - defender 90 Td5

Mods - x-brake, Kam rear locker

broken - who knows....?

was at tixover playing with the car... used the locker, worked fine. forwards, backwards not a problem...

finsihed playing... went to park it up and it would jam in reverse... bit more power and it would jump backwards (like xbrake was sticking maybe, so we made it a bit looser) still did it. DOH

trailered it home then had to drive across town. played about in high/low, in/out diff lock but still wouldnt go backwards and jamed up, and clicks when going forwards (faster you drive, faster it clicks)

so up goes front axle on stands... drives fine. hmmmm

up goes back axle .... click click click when going forwards, and there was so much resistance when going backwards it made the front wheels drive and almost pushed me off the axle stands.

so, out come rear halfshaft, off comes rear prop, drive round in diff lock, all is well. - proplem solved, locking rear diff.... £25 later on PnP Mr Nige rings from Kam 'Diff works well, stop moaning'

so what is it?!?! PLEASE PLEASE HELP. needs to be fixed asap before my next competition.

Pete

(hope it makes sense, if not reply anyway and will try n explain it better)

Sounds like the symptoms I had when I bent the X brake mounting plate, try taking the calliper off as just loosening the adjuster won't some times free it.

This is due to only one pad moving away from the disc because the 2 bolts that the calliper slide on are no longer parallel.

At least doing this simple task if not successful will rule out the X brake.

A useful mod to stop this happening again is a different cable mounting bracket (one that ties the other ends of the bolts together)

but it drives fine with the rear prop off... sureley it would back and clatter all the time if it was that...?!?!

I think having the rear prop off would allow the disc to wobble more as I seem to remember you cannot do the prop bolts up tight to hold the disc without the rear prop on.

Thus it would be easier for it not to jam up.

Pete, do you have a few washers handy the size of the propshaft bolts..?? if you do, use a few washers to make up the thickness of the propr flange, therefore the disc won;t float, and if its the xbrake binding you'll find out....

You could even put the rear shafts back in, and drive it in difflock ... clearly not far, or ideally in the wet, as the wet would get into the rear axle....................!

Zardos, that sounds about right. we thought that today, but my Diff is with kam as i thought it was that... and yes the disc now wobbles a little. lets hope and pray thats the reason. makes the most sense to me as i did abuse it a little (mocha, you know what i mean :P)

The other way to see if the plate is bent is take it off and lay it on a flat surface or use a rule to check it is flat.

Also check that the calliper mounting bolts are not bent as well (they can bend where the tubes meet the plate)

It does not take much plate or bolt bend to put it out of line as the distance of the calliper away from the plate amplifies the effect.

Also the disc can be bent as well as it is just laser cut sheet steel (my first x brake had a non flat disc when delivered).

A few mods and they can last years of mega abuse :)

I had another thought too.,........... you can always remove the front prop aswell, and that way you don;t actually need to move the truck, just use difflock to make sure the back flange goes round........ you could even lay underneath and watch then, while someone else 'drives/.... as such!