V6 - VOR

nas90

Friend of mine has had a V6 Freelander since new, from memory about 5 years ago. Vehicle is sitting waiting for a cam position sensor (sorry if the terminology is wrong). According to Harwoods no replacement sensors available in Europe, LR apparently cannot get any made that work, vehicle starts, runs then will not re-start, very embarrasing in the middle of Tesco's carpark!

Anyone know of this particular problem? any fixes? could the same sensor be fitted to the Rover saloon cars? any ideas to get the vehicle back working? :angry2:

I would think the sensor is probably the same as the one in the Rover 800 which I think had that engine fitted at one point (Rover 825? if there was such a thing! not sure on my Rover models sorry ... but I am sure one of them had that engine)

I believe there were 2.0 and 2.5 litre versions of the KV6 engine but not sure if the sensors would be the same. If you can find a Rover car at a breakers yard then I expect the sensor would be the same part because IIRC the engine was nicked from Rover cars in the first place :)

The shortage is probably to do with the demise of Rover I guess, maybe it was made by a subcontractor that went under as a result.

Look here

The one you want to be same as a Freebie is the 2497cc 177ps 24v version I think, so if that info is correct it will be found in some Rover 825s, Rover 75 and some MG thing. Chances are that a part like the cam sensor would be the same in all of them though, it does the same job however whizzy the engine gets :)

Just looked it up ont he aprts book - freelander sensor is a different part number to the rover 800 one. The rover one has the connector moulded into the sensor, whereas the freelander one has a length of wire attached to the moulding and the plug is then on the wiring.

No idea how long the wiring is, and also no idea how accurate the EPC diagrams are but all I can confirm is that they're different part numbers!

HTH

Jon

Hmmmmmmm just had another look.

Freelander one is PArt number NCS100610L, but the one on a rover 75 is NSC100610 - whats the betting that the last L just means landrover packaging???

Might be worth trying the local rover dealers. Price on my 2002 epc is 17.37 +vat so not too bad.

My daily driver is a rover 25, and I've had no problems whatsoever getting parts for it. I think the "lack of availability" is a bit of an old wives tale. Rover parts are now supplied by Caterpillar, and are nothing whatsoever to do with MG Rover.

HTH

Jon

Hmmmmmmm just had another look.

Freelander one is PArt number NCS100610L, but the one on a rover 75 is NSC100610 - whats the betting that the last L just means landrover packaging???

Might be worth trying the local rover dealers. Price on my 2002 epc is 17.37 +vat so not too bad.

My daily driver is a rover 25, and I've had no problems whatsoever getting parts for it. I think the "lack of availability" is a bit of an old wives tale. Rover parts are now supplied by Caterpillar, and are nothing whatsoever to do with MG Rover.

HTH

Jon

Thanks Jon.

But is the above a slip of the finger? NCS Freebie - NSC Rover 75.

Please confirm which part number option?

Sorry - finger trouble.

NSC100610L is the freebie one

NSC100610 is the rover one.

The rover fitments are:-

Rover 200 series (nov 1995on) and rover 25 series (now 1999 on) 1100/1400/1600/1800cc

Rover 400 series (may 1995 on) and rover 45 series (jan 2000 on)

2000/2500cc petrol V6

Rover 75

2000/2500cc

All the above use the same part number can sensor. Looks like a pretty universal part.

Cheers

Jon