Warn 8274 brake pawl spring

L19MUD

I have an 8274 with missing brake pawl (actually the casing is damaged where the pawl is bolted hence why its missing)

I have compared it to another 8274 and the pawl itself is fairly easily fabbed (I know these bits are expnsive to buy and I am a cheapskate)

The only bit that is not easily copied is the spring within the pawl. No probs i thought I will contact Gigglepin and buy the spring for a few pennies and I will have solved my problem . . .

Here is their response

"No problem, we can supply a brake pawl spring individually, the price of these are £13.92 each, plus postage and VAT – a total of £23.41. They are in stock."

I should think they are in stock for that price!! :o:o

Does anyone know of another supplier or a way round this?

so by time you have shopped around, rang people for prices, then give up to only go back to gigglepin and pay the 23quid how much time and money have you lost in the process ?

not being funny but just pick the phone up, ring JJ and order it, then itll be on your doorstep the next day :)

at the end of the day your relying on that spring to lock out the ratchet on your brake, so how many £££'s of motor are going to be damaged when a cheaper spring lets go and fails to operate brake pawl on the ratchet resulting in you going backwards quicker than you went forwards.

just my opinion all be it abit on the harsh side :ph34r:

dan :D

got to agree with Dan im afraid , by the time you have fabbed up a replacment pawl , wound your own spring or had one wound for you the right bits can be fitted and happly working away for you :D , ive tryed the hard way and much prefur the easy way , only bother fabing what is not easly sorced or a one off :)

Fair points I suppose - £23 when compared to the value of the winch/what its attached to is nothing!

i just hate paying for something which appears so expensive compared to what it is!

Trust me in this, im in the marine trade, i replaced a gimble bearing on a mercruiser the other week, last time i did on the bearing was 60 + vat this time around 97 quid + vat. So that spring price is very very fair