I hate getting ready for MOTs

missingsid

After some months of work on my Series1 I figured that it was finally ready for the MOT. :)

So far I have changed the heads, welded the chassis, fixed the wiring (the insulation falls off modern bullet connectors after a few years) changed the tyres, cleaned out the tank and the washer bottle/pipes, put in a new tank sender and completely changed the brake cylinders and shoes.

Engine is running very sweetly and the brakes aren't bad.

So this week I book the appointment (it's on a SORN) and take the day off. :D

This morning at 8:00 am I start the final checks.

1st move the wife's car from the front of the garage.

Bugger the battery is flat. No probs I'll just throw on the the charger and do something else for a while.

Mains plug on the charger is buggered, no probs I have a spare plug.....somewhere in the garage (that is now full of the wife's shoe collection and study notes).

Oh well I have a spare lead and plug so I can swap the lead. At last the charger is on now.

2nd warm up the engine as I want to add some more antifreeze. Engine starts well, runs well then dies. Leave Ignition on for a few secs try again. Engine starts well, runs well then dies. Leave Ignition on for a few secs try again. Engine starts well, runs well then dies. Leave Ignition on for a few secs try again. Turn pump off an try again yep it's fuel starvation, pull the Moroso filter and clean. No change, remember that nearside carb float chamber was dry when I took it apart so obviously had a sticky needle valve. Don't have time to remove and strip carb so, hit with hammer, try engine. Hurrah it's running sweetly again. :D

3rd job, drain some water out of rad and add some more neat antifreeze.

4th job brake pedal travel is a bit changeable, 1st pump solid but low 2nd pump solid but higher. Decide to adjust shoes again. Jack up front adjust front shoes, 30 secs a side. Lower front, raise rear and put on stands.

Both rear wheels are stuck solid, they were fine last time I set them up :( Remove wheel from offside and have a look, faf about refit and remove nearside. Faf about some more, disassemble brake pedal linkage in case it is too tight, still same, half an hour to go, call garage and cancel MOT. :(

In my rebuild I only used pattern parts in two areas.

Fuel tank sender - gauge now doesn't work. :angry:

Brake shoes - rear brakes stuck on. :angry:

I took off the shoes and compared them to the previous set. The end of the shoe that has the hinge cut out in them is a couple of mm longer than the old set and the top of the shoes have witness marks from where the drums are rubbing. I have fixed one side but got so cold outside all day that I need to fix the other side tomorrow. :o

Marc.