gaskets

bushwhacker

Hello,Should I put instant gasket on both sides of a new p gasket and water pump gasket. I seem to recall reading it wasn't a bad thing to do? Also to use some thread lock fluid on new frost/core plugs? It's something I hadn't done before but if it's a belt and braces and helps I am all for it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hello,Should I put instant gasket on both sides of a new p gasket and water pump gasket. I seem to recall reading it wasn't a bad thing to do? Also to use some thread lock fluid on new frost/core plugs? It's something I hadn't done before but if it's a belt and braces and helps I am all for it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

On P gaskets i use Loctite "Black stuff" cant remember its proper name, on water pump gaskets i normally use hylomar "blue" never had a problem with either.

Keith

I did mine a while ago with a paper gasket and I put instant gasket on both sides and it seems fine. As long as you make sure the surfaces are clean and dry you should be OK with gasket sealer and a paper gasket.

Don't really understand what you mean about the impellor though. If you mean should it move without the pulley moving then I would say that is wrong.

Have I got that bit right?

Thanks, but instant gasket on both sides of the paper/card gasket? Yes or no.

Should the impeller on the water pump be free to turn or locked to move when the pulley is turning? :ph34r:

I would use a metal p gasket!

It should only turn when the pulley turns!

Thanks.

Tetsu0san, yes thats right impeller turning with the pulley held still.

fozsug,metal p gasket, I will try and get one.

I think I need to put a new water pump on my shopping list too. :(

Get a genuine 'P' gasket (PET100790) and genuine water pump(STC1086), will cost a few more pennies but you will only have to do the job once:D