wheels n Tyres

Requin

I have a 1996, 90 and I will need to change my tyres soon. I currently use mud tyres because they was on it when I brought it. I use it 50/50 on the road and am often in fairly steep hilly, muddy forest tracks often in snow.

My question is this - Are mud tyres the best solution?

I often find the rear slipps away from me in 4 wd, scooting me of the trail even if i'm just going slow on wet muddy leafy ground and on hard packed snow its a real pain on soft snow or new is fine. It could be that Im just a bad inexperienced driver but I was wondering if its also the type of tyre or something else. I need some guidance please

This has been done a number of times on this forum. The search (or google) will help you find opinions on all types of tyres.

You will find people on here who swear by each type and will give you advice that a given choice is the only one. You will also find people who have different opinions. Listen to them all and make up your own mind, they all have something valuable to input.

For reference I have a full set of both MT and AT tyres which I change according to what I am doing.

To help you get started my understanding and experience is as follows:

The MT's I have are good in most situations BUT do suffer on wet roads. The truck has both ABS and TC, and both work harder on road with the muds. There is just not as much rubber on the road. Offroad however the MTs have significantly more grip in wet slippy conditions than the ATs. Where the AT's slide, the MTs generally hold firm.

The ATs however have been excellent both on and off road - except for when it gets muddy and slippy. They do OK, just not as good as the MTs.

Just depends what the conditions are really like for the tracks you use.

For my use, I keep the ATs on over winter and summer and swap to the MT's only when I will be doing a substantial amount off road.

Have a look at these two pages on Ozeploz.com and see what you think.

ATs

MTs

Cheers

Martin

i have just taken off my sahara's due to being all over the shop on the icy rounds and compacted snow and put my B.F.G A/T back on and its like driving on a normal road in the condition i have mentioned ie compacted snow and ice u want as many little cuts and tread blocks as possible to allow you to grip the compacted surface this is why if u look at sets of snow tyres the have tiny slices in then otherwise known as scribing this is wat gives you your grip not great big blocks blocks but its horses for courses u have to decide wat u want them for the most hope this helps (if it reads in a patronising way it was intended to hope that helps you )

dazwell24

Nice site Martin - Good clear information, thanks. And thanks to the rest of you.

From what you have said and I have now read I think the best way to go is to stick with the MT's; just a more modern tyre. When I am off road its not normally for fun and no one to assist me when things get complicated so I think the safe best is to stick with the need factor. however I think having another set of AT's mounted and ready to change quickly could be a good solution globally.

Thanks for your fast responses

I've driven my LR's on snow with many different types of tyres over the years but for the past 10-years I have had BFG AT's on my 90 and in my opinion you can't beat them. As already stated, lots of smaller blocks let them grip the snow (look at the pattern you leave behind) but open mud tyres just grab chunks out of it and get you nowhere. The BFG AT's are already an excellent comprimse tyre but add to that the excellent snow capability and they are a winner for me.

The WORST I ever used in the snow was the old GoodYear 9.00x16 bar-grip as fitted to my 101, was hardly worth taking the vehicle out when it snowed! The Continental 9.00x16 NATO pattern bar-grip which I had on my S111 SWB V8 was a definate improvement, still didn't compare to the BFG AT's but was a 100% improvement over the GoodYear's.

I had the same dilemma recently, AT's or MT's. I can't afford both and wanted something that would be a good choice for off road at pay and play sites but still good on road.

I went with the new BFG MT's (KM2) and was surprised to find that they were just as good on road as my old AT's. they have been great in the snow but pretty slippy on ice. they are more noisy at higher speeds but not as loud as I had expected. All in all I'm chuffed to bits with them so would highly recommend them. However, as people say, you've got to get something that will suit you most of the time and a lot of people say that the BFG AT is the best all-round tyre so maybe you should opt for them (maybe I should have too :lol: )