Daytime Running Lights

Just to ensure you get the functionality you want and expect ....

My understanding is that :

DRLs are physically separate from the headlights.

DRLs illuminate as soon as the engine starts (alternator starts producing output).

When headlight dipped beam (low beam) is switched on the DRLs are extinguished.

Is this what you want the wiring diagram to support?

What year and engine is your Defender?

Are there any other main lights apart from the normal headlights (IE Fog lights or Driving lights)?

Good Day All,

Does anyone have an idea how to wire the headlights to daytime running lights? A wiring diagram would be great if possible.

Cheers,

Tracy

where have you been hiding ?

DRL's are complely seperate lights, although there are combined side/DRL lights available the DRL switch off when [normal] side/dip headlights are switched on.

you could either run headlights with additional sidelights or wire in a dim dip system which powers dip beam at about 15% of normal dip brightness, but dim dip units aren't very relable.

DRL kit here not cheap.

where have you been hiding ?

DRL's are complely seperate lights, although there are combined side/DRL lights available the DRL switch off when [normal] side/dip headlights are switched on.

you could either run headlights with additional sidelights or wire in a dim dip system which powers dip beam at about 15% of normal dip brightness, but dim dip units aren't very relable.

DRL kit here not cheap.

Hi Ralph,

Fell off the face of the earth with work...put my project on hold, moving along really well now, pretty excite, xbrake arrived, have the headers ceramic coated,wiring looms re-worked, just waiting for the remainder of the gaskets for the engine and it goes in, bulkhead goes for sandblasting and paint on Sun. Seats should be here mid jan...barring anymore snow in europe...LOL

I see you're busy as ever with you're postings on here! I imagine everyone is volunteering their time doing recovery!!!

Thanks gents...I'm thinking of a system like we use in canada, and my understanding is that it is headlights only,come on with power applied, vehicle in gear, ebrake/park brake on, headlights are off...unless the light switch has all lights on...does that make any sense at all?

Cheers,

Tracy

good to read the project is progressing, don't forget we like photo's of builds :D

the now defunct UK dim dip system only operated with side lights [front markers] on & engine running, it was switched from the engines oil pressure sensor, so no oil press/no sidelights/no dim dip.

yours sounds OK, would think powered from oil press sensor when engine running & switched off by park brake when vehicle stationary.