Best Suspension Set Up for Trialling

Bigant

Hi

I have a RRC based trialler that has been shortened to 88" and it has a series rear tub and a defender style front end. The fuel tank is in the back between the wheel arches and there is a roll cage fitted.

I need to make changes to the suspension as it is currently non standard and the rear wheel arches come into contact with the tyres when the going gets tough. Currently the rear is set up with the shocks running through the coils to home made extended turrets, which I believe would be ok for speed events but its not the best for trialling.

The vehicle is fitted with 235/85/16 Insa Turbo tyres so the are not the biggest of tyres, and I am thinking of fitting a 2" lift kit to help keep the bodywork and the tyres apart so I am looking for suggestions as to what to buy.

Am I right in thinking that "red and white" coils are still a favoured choice for trialling? Would they work with a vehicle of this weight?

As always I am on a budget and if I do fit the +2" kit will I need to fit camber altered hardware such as trailing arms etc?

Any suggestions gratefully received and heres hoping we all have a Happy, and muddy, New Year.

Bigant

It can get quite complicated & you need to decide whether it will be ALRC or non alrc! :ph34r:

Alrc will mean, no dislocating suspension & standard arms. A way around the dislocation is to have springs that are long enough to stop them & shocks that work in that favour along with turrets & mounts that give the required droop you need! (Sorry if that sounds confusing but I knew what I meant!!)

Non alrc, you can do what you like.

Red & whites are a police spec rrc spring so are heavier duty. You want as soft as possible ;) & nice long shocks but not too stiff.

I wouldn't go bigger that 235/85 as you'll lose steering & this is quite important! 205 is a good size if the trial sites aren't too rutted.

ALRC we used to run Red/whites RR/HD rears 175lbs/inch copared to 215Lbs an inch Front on a defender or on a special light vehicle used to recommend disco/Rangie V8 fronts lightest duty. Now days you can get springs to what ever rate you like whats these grey springs x springs? or another manufacturer can get you wnat you need.

Just thought of summat else! :rolleyes:

a good spring will be a nice long one but soft too, but too many coils & it will bind up when compressed so go for one with around the same amount as standard but maybe +2"-+4". :blink:

Hi

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions, would you be able to recommend a supplier of the springs you have mentioned?

Would it also help if I fitted shorter turrets to the front?

Thanks again

Bigant

Bigant, the height of the front turret will have no bearing on the actual springs needed, however, it has more to do with which shocks you might choose, if you were to buy +2inch shocks, then you don't really want to fit shorter turrets, or indeed rear mount lowering brackets, as the shocks will then bottom out and may damage them....

Sounds to me like you should talk to someone who's really knows what they're talking about, bearing in mind also what the regs are for whatever trials you might be doing....

No Problem Muddy

I have another question for all you suspension buffs out there regarding the shocks that are already fitted which I am I hoping I may be able to continue to use.

They are Pro Comp, I think, they have Explorer stamped in the casing together with the following numbers 93200 21097 C031Y1?

These shocks, well the rear ones anyway, are 83cm long when fully extended, measuring from the middle of the eye to the middle of the "pin" fixing at the other end.

Now due to the set up that is currently on my trialler, all four shocks are fitted with the "eye" at the bottom with the "pin" at the top running through the home made extended turrets. However as I am now refitting the original RR rear shock absorber mounts I am hopng to flip the shocks around and reuse them.

Question is from the description and serial numbers provided can anyone tell me if these are standard length shocks or something longer?

Are they RRC spec or are they for another model of Land Rover?

Thanks again for the help and advice

Bigant

I am hopng to flip the shocks around and reuse them.

Bigant, those procomp shocks are decided for use in one orientation, if you are planning to flip them, I wouldn't bother. Due to a rushed fit, a mate and I once fitted his front pin-pin dampers the wrong way up, we could almost bounce the front of his truck off the ground... then the penny dropped.. *doh* :rolleyes: