smoke from from oil filler

bushwhacker

Hello.

I've had a wee trawl and beleive my head gasket has blown on my 200tdi.

Could someone confirm this from blue smoke from the oil filler with chuffing, oil down the sides of the block and the water pressurizing at the expansion tank.

220,000 on the clock. I have cleaned the breather pipes and they were not blocked. It's still starting ok.

Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated very much. Thanks

Hi Bushwacker,

Sounds very much like it to me. Had a similar thing on my 200 tdi when the fumes were coming out of the dip stick hole. Known fault on the original head gaskets and they are now replaced with ones with thicker walls. Used to go about 60 to 80,000 so you've done well if it's the original.

Regards

Can anyone suggest the best people or make for head gasket, valve stem oil seals, rocker gasket and any thing else to do a fix on this. Would it be a good idea to stick new valves in, I am in NI so the head will be done local when I find out who are best. Thanks

Can anyone suggest the best people or make for head gasket, valve stem oil seals, rocker gasket and any thing else to do a fix on this. Would it be a good idea to stick new valves in, I am in NI so the head will be done local when I find out who are best. Thanks

Wouldnt bother with valves unless they look burnt out.Just make sure that you get the head pressure tested and skimed if necessary, and get the right thickness head gasket.

As for parts i allways use genuine , i use LR Series http://www.lrseries.com/

You can buy top end gasket re-build sets, I believe paddocks and britcar sell these (and probably lrseries will too). It should include all the gaskets to to the head :)

Perhaps just re-grind the valves if they don't look bad, you will have to grind in new ones too.