Disco 1 lift options and questions

carlosbeldia

Good day. I know this is a really smashed subject, but I really don't have time for a proper investigation (because of work). A friend of mine have to decide in 3 days which lift kit he must buy in US (he's coming back from there). It's a 300 TDi 1998 Disco 1, no ABS no sunroof. He wants to buy the best option for:

- medium off road use (not a real greenlane crazy, but ocasionally see some mud)

- good weight capacity

- ride comfort

- performance at corners and high speed straight-line

Besides, he have 2 questions:

- It's OK to lift 2" only changing springs and shock absorbers?

- It's a must to change steering bars and joints for HD versions?

These 3 are the options he is thinking on. Additional suggestions are welcomed.... thanks a lot

PRO COMP SHOCK + SPRING KIT DISCOVERY I '94-99 HEAVY DUTY: 2 inches over factory ride height Includes 4 Pro Comp shocks & ProLine springs

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-14769-pro-comp-shock-spring-kit-discovery-i-94-99-heavy-duty.aspx

Este es el que mas me gusta:

TERRAFIRMA PRO SPORT HD SUSPENSION KIT - DISCOVERY I: 4 Terrafirma +2 inch Pro Sport shocks and 4 +2 inch springs

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-17218-terrafirma-pro-sport-hd-suspension-kit-discovery-i.aspx

OME SUSPENSION KIT - DISCOVERY I HEAVY DUTY: raise vehicle approximately 1.5 inch

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-4554-ome-suspension-kit-discovery-i-heavy-duty.aspx

Doesn't sound like your friend needs 2" for the use you've indicated.

A standard Disco will surprise you where it can go, 2" is for "serious" O/R.

I've seen a lot of lifted LR's that are never really used to their capability.

I have replaced my shocks with Gas items and fitted H/D std height springs F&R, that's given me 25/30mm and a better ride.

I have a 96 300TDI Auto, never been stuck and regularly handles tough green lanes and Play days.

Plus, a 2" lift isn't just bolting on the springs and dampers, there's more cost and work ie. exteneded brake pips etc. Keep the suspension simple and effective and spend the extra on good tyres.

Get him to consider what he really needs.

Good luck, keep the Green oval the right way up :)

Personnally I would go for OME. Mine has OME front and rear springs with OME front dampers and longer pro comp rears and I am very impressed with it even after the 6 or so years of abuse its had from me and its other owners on the car before. Its just a question of how long u plan to keep the car as OME kits aren't cheap but certainly worth it if you want to keep a vehicle for a few years.

Cheers

OME kits aren't cheap but certainly worth it

Mine were, due to an error on the Devon 4x4 website (said sold as pair but priced individually) I got the full set of their D44 springs (OME but their spring rates etc) for £170 :lol:

Better to be born lucky than rich! Needless to say the website was updated within an hour of this happening ;)

Mine were, due to an error on the Devon 4x4 website (said sold as pair but priced individually) I got the full set of their D44 springs (OME but their spring rates etc) for £170 :lol:

Better to be born lucky than rich! Needless to say the website was updated within an hour of this happening ;)

Born Lucky! sounds like you got a steal there! Must say at the prices I have seen OME kits for in the states compared to here I think my next kit will be coming from over the pond,

hmmm how much is my luggage allowance back home in April now.... :P

Cheers