Defender Road Tax for Dummies

So, can some kind soul please confirm (or dispute) my understanding. So long as it's pre 2001, the road tax for a Defender is 205 per annum - regardless of diesel or petrol? I'm going to treat myself to a project (keeps me out from under her feet) and 'er indoors insist I don't but something that will boost the government coffers in an obscene manner. Fair enough, I suppose.

If you scroll down in this link and read the chart, band k has an * next to it, read the note below it, and you'll see that all pre 2006 cars regardless of their emmisions have a maximum tax at the moment of £245 per year...... so its only the 4-5yr old trucks that hit the really high band........... from what i can see anyways.........

If you scroll down in this link and read the chart, band k has an * next to it, read the note below it, and you'll see that all pre 2006 cars regardless of their emmisions have a maximum tax at the moment of £245 per year...... so its only the 4-5yr old trucks that hit the really high band........... from what i can see anyways.........

:wacko: What Link

Hmm. Could be all rather academic.

Thanks to the Mayor of London (thanks Boris, you've lost my vote) it looks like I can scratch the project idea. It seems any Defender older than 2001 will be subject to a 100 pounds a day charge from 3 Jan 2012!!

36,500 a year to drive an old defender throughout most of the M25 boundary?! I think not.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/5725.aspx

Hmm. Could be all rather academic.

Thanks to the Mayor of London (thanks Boris, you've lost my vote) it looks like I can scratch the project idea. It seems any Defender older than 2001 will be subject to a 100 pounds a day charge from 3 Jan 2012!!

36,500 a year to drive an old defender throughout most of the M25 boundary?! I think not.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/5725.aspx

Erm, I think you will find that the LEZ has been about a lot longer than Boris has been the Mayor. And Boris gave us an 18 month reprieve. I would be paying £100 a day from April last year if it wasn't for Boris.

Back to road tax, I have a 1992 and I pay £205 a year too.