Trailer Law Help

Philip Tonkin

I was advised by, amongst others, the DSA. I think it's also been in the CC magazine and a few other places. It came into force on 4th april. Before that date, pass the test and you can instruct others, after that date you have to pass the test THEN WAIT 3 YEARS before you can instruct.

I regret having put it off 'till it was too late, instructing B+E was no harder than teaching learners but I was too busy.

Grandfather rights aplly to all catagories that are inferred on a licence holder having passed Cat B before 1997 without taking the test for them. As of last april you have to have passed the test in that catgory (or higher) before you can instruct.

As an aside, the same does indeed apply to C1 and D1, with the added complication that you can't now take D1 in a Transit, it has to be a minibus over 3.5 tonnes. Might as well take full cat D because both need the medical.

Regarding actual vehicle weight, I had to have my 110 300 Tdi weighed before I could register it here (BC, Canada) and with roof rack, but only standard jack, ets., it came in at 1968kg. I must admit, I didn't ask for that mornings calibration certificate!

Mike

• 1 month later...

Has anyone got a link to that changed grandfather rights/sitting in stuff? sounds ridiculous, dad's been towing for 40 years, and wouldn't be able to sit by me! :blink:

That's right, but he hasn't passed the test. The rights ceased on April 4th 2010. I was instructing car and trailer a few years ago and looked into the cost of sticking with it but including the test and insuring a towcar to instruct with I needed to be doing it 5 days a week for over £30 a hour, so I let my rights lapse. I'm sort of wishing I'd done D1+E now because I can't do Minibus either, had I taken the test it would be easier but as I have an older licence I'm not even allowed to drive a school minibus, without taking the council test. This is despite the fact that A) I hold DSA ADI, so I doubt the council employ anyone qualified to criticise my driving, B) I've been driving Transits for 22 years and C) I used to DESIGN them and test them, so have an intimate knowledge of their capabilities and limitations.

Anyhow, the rule is that the qualified driver is over 21, has passed the test for the catagory they are instructing and (I think subsequently) has held that catagory for 3 years without a break (conviction for example).

Ok Guys.

I want to do a B+E, but I also want to do a D1+E later on (so I can put all the seats back in my wolf, and tow, and still be legal). I am hoping to get the army to pay for my D1 (through the Army Cadet Force), but as anyone knows trying to get this arranged is a drawn out bussiness.

If I did my B+E test first, and then the D1 test, would I automatically qualify for D1+E, or would I then need to go back and do that? If I waited and did my D1 first, then my D1+E, would that inturn automatically qualify me for B+E, or would I still need to go back and do that test?

I dont want to rush in and pay for my own B+E, only to then come unstuck later.......

As I understand the "hirachy" of tests, B is below D1 so B+E and D1 does NOT entitle you to D1+E

However D1+E will extend to give you B+E on your existing entitlement and allow tyou to instruct B+E in 3 year's time, much the same as taking the artic est (is that C3?).

But, you need to take them in order as you have no entitlement, so D1 then D1=E, the later ebing easier in a way becasue there are no reverse manouvres.