2-speed electric winch?

Bowie69

Anyone come across these before?

As far as I can see you can't get them in the UK, but what a turn of speed!

200:1 in low speed, 40:1 in high!

Very interesting brake mechnism, built into the motor apparently (I think they may mean it is built into the motor *end* of the winch), stops overrun dead.

I was doing some searching and found a similar model which had a remote which at the touch of a button allowed you to select high and low gear.

Line speed under load is similar to the Goodwinch TDS 9.5.

Honestly, I think this leaves the 8274 on very shaky ground if reliability of the above winch is good enough.

Thoughts?

It certainly shifts in high range!

I think we've only scratched the surface of what can be done electrically in particular. I built an electric dead stop thingy a while ago - it kind of got forgotten about because of more important stuff to do - perhaps I should dig it out!

David Bowyers voltage doubler thing is actually very impressive in operation and not bad value either when you compare it to any of the twin motor adaptions.

Although they are not there yet, brushless DC motors will eventually replace series wound motors. Although there are several really good motors available at the moment, they generally need higher voltages to operate than 12 or 24v. One I intend having a play with is one of the two motors fitted to a Prius. It has two motors plus the petrol engine. A high torque low speed and low torque high speed motor.

However the low torque motor is capable of generating several times the torque of a typical winch motor - but red-lines at about twice the speed. The standard Prius controller incorporates a voltage doubler too. I wonder what sort of performance it would deliver with 24v doubled to 48? I was offered both motors and the inverter drive for not a lot of money as scrap. There are more Prius's on the road than 8274's and they will all end up in junk yards!

If you built a winch out of the high torque motor - you would only need to gear it at about 50:1 to give the same pull as a twin motor 8274. However, at that ratio it would give about 20mph at full load! So maybe the future is a scrap Prius motor with a MegaSquirt style driver.

The thing I would like to see which is possible with a brushless motor is a shuttle-jog type controller like on a video recorder. The shuttle wheel gives you forwards and backwards at zero to full speed. The jog wheel moves the drum synchronously with the wheel. It would allow very precise positioning with the winch as you are approaching a punch.

Si

David Bowyers voltage doubler thing is actually very impressive in operation and not bad value either when you compare it to any of the twin motor adaptions.

Remember seeing this in operation on Bish's truck, was impressive stuff, but imagine a Bow 2, that winch and David Bowyers Turbo Boost or whatever it's called, that would surely be a very very close comparison to a mildly tweaked 8274.... line retreival would be faster, I would think.

£500 for the winch, £200 Bow2, £200 for turbo boost, £900 all in.... seems a bargain if it is reliable, and still less than half a fully Gigglepinned 8274. If you get the remote speed changing version I found elsewhere, similar money, but driver/codriver need never physically touch the winch.